Yazan S. Ashrawi
Yazan maintains a diverse practice representing both public and private clients in a wide-array of business issues and litigation matters, focusing on land-use and zoning, eminent domain, real estate, and appellate matters in state and federal courts. Yazan has successfully defended his clients as lead counsel in jury trials, bench trials, and through pre-trial motion practice in various courts throughout the state.
In addition to his trial work, Yazan has successfully represented clients in appellate proceedings in front of numerous administrative agencies, state courts of appeals, and the Ohio Supreme Court. Yazan has briefed and handled over 30 appellate matters, and presented oral argument on multiple occasions in state appellate courts.
Prior to joining the firm, Yazan served as an assistant attorney general for the state of Ohio in the Health and Human Services Section as well as the Legal Initiatives Section. In this position, he served as lead trial counsel for a number of the Ohio Attorney General’s civil nuisance abatement actions where he was able to secure favorable decisions enjoining businesses and business owners from selling synthetic narcotics.
- Legal Counsel for the International League of Professional Baseball Clubs, Inc.
- Law Director for the Village of Johnstown, Ohio
- Village Solicitor for the Village of Marble Cliff, Ohio
- Represent the City of Dublin, the City of Grove City, and the City of Pickerington in all eminent domain litigation matters.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2019
- International Municipal Lawyers Association Amicus Service Award Winner
- CALI Award for Excellence: Top Grade in Sports Law
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio State Bar Association, Litigation Section Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section Member
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Managing Editor, 2010-2012
- Ohio State Sports & Entertainment Law Association, Vice President
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- State Board of Education Approves the Transfer of a Home from Columbus City Schools to Westerville City Schools
- Supreme Board of Sign Review: Supreme Court Declares Provisions of Town’s Sign Code Unconstitutional
- Charity Bins are a form of Communication, according to the Sixth Circuit
- Ohio Supreme Court Decision Makes Future of Local Fracking Regulations Unclear
- House Bill 5
- Ohio Supreme Court Upholds City Curfews in Public Parks
- New Ohio Senate Bill seeks to severely limit the use of traffic cameras
- Supreme Court Rules on Prayers Opening Legislative Meetings
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Mentoring and More @ Moritz
- Leadership Dublin, Class of 2017
- Law & Leadership Institute, Mock Trial Coach
- The Ohio State Moritz College of Law Lawrence Negotiation Competition Judge
- Columbus Preparatory Academy, Board of Trustees (2016-2018)
- Columbus Arts & Technology Academy, Board of Trustees (2016-2018)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
National Business Institute Seminar Presenter on Land Use, Zoning, and Development: Getting Government Approvals, November 2017
Article: Traffic Cameras Being Considered by Legislature and Courts, Cities & Villages (July/August 2014)
Presented Case Law Update at Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association 2013 Winter Law Seminar