J. Aaron Byrd
Aaron is a Member and the Team Leader for the firm's Estates, Trusts, and Wills service team. He concentrates his practice in estate planning, probate estate and trust administration, business succession planning, asset protection planning, wealth transfer planning, and charitable giving. He also advises clients on estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxation issues. Aaron is licensed to practice law in Ohio and Kentucky.
Aaron has experience in drafting and implementation of wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, installment sales, grantor retained annuity trusts, residence trusts, private family foundations and donor advised funds, and charitable remainder and charitable lead trusts. He also has experience in planning for distributions from retirement plans and IRAs. Aaron frequently works with high-net worth individuals and families, closely-held business owners, and executives of publicly traded companies and has experience planning for their unique situations. Aaron enjoys working with individuals and families to ensure that their legacy is properly planned and administered to leave a lasting impact.
Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Aaron served as a Field Artillery officer in the U.S. Army during both peacetime and war. Aaron deployed overseas to Iraq, Kuwait, and Kosovo as well as serving in New York, Georgia, Oklahoma, California, and Louisiana. For Aaron’s combat service in Iraq, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal.
Highlights & Recognitions
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected as Member of Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy, Class of 2014
- Cincinnati Business Courier Forty Under 40, Class of 2012
- Selected as Member of Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber’s C-Change Leadership Development Program, Class V.
- Northern Kentucky University College of Informatics, Development Council Member
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Most Likely to Succeed, Class of 2007
- Northern Kentucky Law Review Editorial Board, Kentucky Survey Issue Editor
- Bronze Star for combat service in Iraq
Memberships & Affiliations
- Cincinnati Estate Planning Council Member
- American Bar Association, Section on Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
- Ohio Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Committee
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- West Point Association of Graduates
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Honor Council
- Phi Alpha Delta, Law Fraternity
Recent Blog Posts
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Planned Gifts Committee, St. Elizabeth Healthcare Foundation, Chair
- Scott Christian Memorial Soccer Foundation, President
- Carnegie Center for Performing Arts, Vice President, Board Member, Member of Executive Committee and Nominating Committees
- Children's Home of Cincinnati, Young Professionals Board Member, Member of Finance & Investment CommitteesNorthern Kentucky Fund of the Greater Cincinnati Foundation, Advisory Committee Member
- Volunteer Lawyer Program, Wills Clinic
- Wills for Heroes, Pro Bono Estate Planning Clinic
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-Author, You Cannot Change 500 Years of Property Law at 5:00 P.M. on a Friday - Dower as Applied in Kentucky, 33 N. Ky. L. Rev. 335 (2006).