Aaron M. Bernay
Aaron represents clients in a wide range of areas with a primary focus on complex business litigation and a secondary focus on international transactions and compliance. He also co-chairs the firm's International Dispute Resolution working group that advises clients on international arbitration and cross-border litigation matters.
Aaron is the author of MENALawBlog, a blog highlighting legal and business developments in the Middle East of interest to companies operating in the region. He also serves as the United States representative to the Young Lawyers Committee of the International Bar Association and speaks frequently on topics ranging from corporate compliance to terrorism.
Prior to entering law school, Aaron worked for the international trade practice of a Washington, D.C. law firm and analyzed money laundering and financial crimes cases for a large plaintiffs’ firm. During law school, Aaron served as a Notes and Comments Editor of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and was a three-year fellow at UC’s Corporate Law Center.
Recent litigation successes include:
- Obtained defense verdict for car stereo manufacturer in commercial dispute involving the sale of goods from China to Brazil.
- Won dismissal of lawsuit brought against major Middle Eastern airline by passenger under the Montreal Convention.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of soap manufacturer accused of trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference with a contract by competitor (as second chair).
- Obtained defense verdict for auto services client in consumer protection action.
- Obtained verdict for plaintiff in lawsuit alleging fraud against former investment advisor.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of charter school in defamation lawsuit brought by former teacher.
Routinely manages complex litigation involving international discovery matters, including the taking of evidence and testimony abroad in Canada, India, Israel, Jordan, Poland, and the United Kingdom.
Regularly advises clients on an array of issues connected to doing business in foreign jurisdictions, including:
- Entity formation;
- Corporate formalities and compliance;
- Trade and customs regulations;
- Commercial contracts; and
- Cross-border alternative dispute resolution and litigation.
Recent international transactions experience includes:
- Represented Chinese manufacturer in licensing dispute with major American lifestyle brand.
- Negotiated Saudi Arabian distributorship agreement on behalf of American manufacturer.
- Oversees international compliance for American corporation with over a dozen subsidiaries in Europe and Latin America.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship in Arabic Language, Harvard University
- Harvard University Certificate for Distinction in Teaching
Recent Blog Posts
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- OMID USA, Inc., Board of Directors
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Finding the Nexus: Measuring Jurisdiction Under the First Clause of the Commercial Activity Exception to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, 77 U. Cin. L. Rev. 1581 (2009).