Benjamin J. Yoder
The majority of Ben's practice is dedicated to Ohio township and municipality representation, particularly in the areas of general counsel, land use and zoning, and real estate litigation. He serves as Law Director for Deerfield Township, Warren County, Ohio and as zoning counsel to a variety of Southwest Ohio local governments, where he regularly deals in comprehensive planning, zoning code/resolution drafting, map and text amendments, planned unit developments, conditional uses, variances, code enforcement, and generalized staff consultation.
When not working on behalf of Ohio townships and municipalities, Ben represents a variety of local school districts and private developers, businesses, and property owners as it pertains to real estate taxes, development, and land use disputes. Ben has extensive experience in ad valorem tax litigation, complex zoning-related commercial due diligence work, zoning permit approval procurement, eminent domain, administrative appeals, and injunctive and generalized litigation.
Ben is a 2007 graduate of the University of Dayton School of Law, where he held both law review and moot court team memberships. Prior to earning his J.D., he graduated cum laude from Lee University, with a Bachelor of Arts in History.
Law Director for Deerfield Township, Warren County, Ohio.
Zoning counsel to multiple urban Ohio townships and their associated zoning commissions, boards of zoning appeals, and boards of trustees.
Perform comprehensive evaluation of Ohio city's existing zoning code for legal defensibility.
Assist numerous suburban Ohio townships and municipalities through complete re-writes and adoptions of their comprehensive plans and, in turn, zoning resolutions.
Represent both public- and private-sector clients in high-profile land use disputes, including zoning code enforcement actions, administrative hearings, administrative appeals, injunctive actions, and traditional litigation.
Represent the State of Ohio in 50+ high-profile eminent domain actions involving alleged mass flooding of farmlands.
Perform zoning-related due diligence work and procure zoning permit approvals for multi-million-dollar commercial real estate transactions.
Serve as ad valorem tax counsel to numerous Southwest Ohio school districts, including prosecution and defense of 50+ Ohio Board of Revision tax valuation complaints (and associated appeals) per year.
Manage private landowner’s $120 million, 80+ property real estate portfolio for ad valorem tax purposes, including prosecution and defense of all Board of Revision, Board of Tax Appeals, and appellate Ohio litigation.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2012-2019
- Warren County Foundation, 2012 Emerging Leader in Community Service
- Frost Brown Todd Mentor of the Year, 2012
- Attorney Advocate of the Year, Ohio Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), 2012
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Township Association
- Ohio Municipal League
- American Planning Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Butler County Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys named to 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers® and Ohio Rising Stars® Lists
- 34 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2018
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- 33 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 11 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2016
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- Five New Members Named in Frost Brown Todd's Cincinnati and West Chester Offices
- Frost Brown Todd Appoints 11 New Members
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers®
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2013
- Benjamin J. Yoder Named 2012 Ohio CASA Attorney Advocate of the Year
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Warren County Park District, Member, Board of Commissioners, 2011 - present
- Area Progress Council of Warren County, President, Board of Directors, 2012 - present
- Rachel A. Hutzel Observatory Foundation, President, Board of Directors, 2017 - present
- Deerfield Regional Stormwater District, President, Board of Directors, 2009 - 2013
- Child Focus, Inc., President, Board of Directors, 2012 - 2017
- Warren County Small Business Development Alliance, President, 2013 - 2015
- 2015 Hopewell District Committee Chair of the Dan Beard Council, Boy Scouts of America
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Practical Information Regarding Zoning Law Issues"
"Hot Issue Pitfalls: An Interactive Examination of the New York City Mosque and Military Funeral Protests"