Carl is a managing associate in Frost Brown Todd’s Intellectual Property practice group, where he advises clients on trademark and copyright issues, including registration, protection, and litigation; and software and technology agreements, including software licensing, development, and digital marketing. Carl also works with the Advertising Law group, providing counsel on advertising review and clearance, sweepstakes and promotions, social media, and compliance with FTC requirements for advertising, products, and websites. Additionally, Carl works with the Entertainment Law group, assisting clients on various transactional and litigation matters. His practice includes a variety of industries and interests, including emerging areas such as technology and fashion.
Prior to joining the firm, Carl was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Jon P. McCalla, Chief Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee. During law school, Carl served as Editor-in-Chief of the University of Memphis Law Review. He has taught a number of nationally competitive high school marching bands and drum and bugle corps throughout the U.S. Carl remains active as a percussion consultant and clinician.
- Evaluating potential trade and service marks; prosecuting federal trade and service marks; enforcing and protecting trademark rights.
- Advising clients on copyright matters, including registration, licensing, enforcement, and litigation.
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property licensing and protection agreements.
- Advising clients on advertising copy, including label requirements and regulatory disclosures.
- Providing legal support for service agreements, vendor contracts, and technology transactions.
- Business litigation matters including intellectual property matters, contract disputes, and non-compete agreements.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Editor-in-Chief, University of Memphis Law Review, 2011-2012
- Outstanding Student Note, University of Memphis Law Review, 2012
- Sam Myar Memorial Scholarship recipient, 2011-2012
- Dean’s Distinguished Service Award
- Student Bar Association Distinguished Service Award
- Commencement Speaker, Class of 2012
- Nashville Young Leaders Council, 2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Supreme Court to Resolve Copyright Infringement Circuit Split
- Attention Website Operators and Online Service Providers:
- In Fashion this Season (and also Eligible for Copyright Protection): Graphical Elements of Clothing Designs
- Attention Website Operators and Online Service Providers: It’s Time to Refile Your Designated Agent Information with the U.S. Copyright Office
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Music City Mystique, President, Board of Directors, 2016
- Belcourt Theatre, Board intern, 2015-2016
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Social Media Now Integral to Protest (Feb. 2015)
Commentary: Trademarking Tragedy (Jan. 2015)
Note, These are the Breaks: Applying the Newton Test in a New Context to Provide
Protection for Rhythmic Material in Musical Works, University of Memphis Law
Review, Vol. 42 (42 U. Mem. L. Rev. 413 (2011))
Getting Over IP, presentation for Association of Corporate Counsel (Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis chapters) (Spring 2015)
Yours, Mine & Ours: Copyright and Intellectual Property Fundamentals, presentation for Arts & Business Council of Greater Nashville (Aug. 2014)