Catherine F. Burgett
As a member with the firm, Catherine divides her time between a traditional labor practice and employment work. Her labor practice includes working with clients to improve labor relations and resolve labor disputes; creating and assisting with corporate campaigns and representation elections; helping companies stay union-free; handling unfair labor practice charges; representing companies through the labor arbitration process; and negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
Catherine's employment practice includes employment litigation; wage and hour litigation; discrimination, harassment, and retaliation investigations and litigation; drafting and litigating employment contracts; creating and implementing corporate training programs; advising and assisting companies in negotiating the WARN Act; drafting and enforcing workplace policies; and serving as counsel on all aspects of employer-employee relations.
Catherine has represented companies in federal and state courts and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and the Pennsylvania Human Rights Commission.
While in law and business schools at the College of William and Mary, Catherine served on the William & Mary Law Review, was a founding member of both the Student Intellectual Property Society and the Child Law Advocacy Society, served as a Civil Procedure teaching assistant, and worked as a consultant for a Fortune 500 global defense and technology company. Catherine joined FBT in 2007 as an associate in the labor and employment department.
- Obtained jury verdict for employer in multiple workers’ compensation trials.
- Obtained dismissal for employer in case of first impression in Ohio state court construing wage statute.
- Negotiated nuisance value settlement in a case where the plaintiff had previously demanded a six figure settlement after discovery revealed adverse facts.
- Successfully arbitrated contract interpretation labor dispute.
- Successfully arbitrated multiple discipline and discharge arbitrations.
- Successfully negotiated settlements between the parties with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Argued issue of first impression before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth District on novel issue of law.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2011, 2012
- Named to Columbus Business First 40 under 40, 2015
- Graduate of Leadership Columbus, 2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio State Bar Association, 2007
- Columbus Bar Association, 2007
- American Bar Association, 2007
- OSBA Fellow, 2015
- Board Vacates Hy-Brand – puts Browning-Ferris Joint Employment Standard Back in Play
- Congress Authorizes Federal Cause of Action for Trade Secret Misappropriation
- Department of Labor Issues Broad "Joint Employment" Guidance
- FMLA Leave Coverage Extends to All Same-Sex Spouses
- Timeliness is in the Eye of the Beholder - OSHA and NLRB Referral Program to Address Otherwise Time-Barred OSHA Workplace Complaints
- Unlocking America
- Staying Union-Free in 2011
- Second LogisticsConnect® Conference Confronts Labor and Workforce Issues
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- LogisticsConnect™ Highlights Region’s Advantages and Challenges
- Frost Brown Todd receives Business Partner Award
- Catherine F. Lacho Named Member in Frost Brown Todd's Columbus Office
- Frost Brown Todd Appoints 11 New Members
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Founder, Student Leadership Institute at Mifflin Middle School
- Board Member, Cancer Support Community Central Ohio
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-author, Unlocking America - Legal Keys to Business Success in the United States
Co-author, The Practitioner's Guide to Defense of EPL Claims, Third Edition
Co-author, Recent Developments in Employment Law and Litigation, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Fall 2012