Christopher M. Montgomery
Monty provides counsel to developers, private equity firms, small and midsize businesses, individuals and financial institutions in the acquisition, disposition, leasing, managing, construction and financing of multifamily, retail, hospitality, office, industrial and mixed-use real estate projects. His practice includes structuring joint ventures, partnerships, real estate syndications and tax-deferred exchanges. Monty has extensive experience advising clients on the formation and dissolution of real estate joint ventures, private placement considerations, and the negotiation of financing, acquisition and disposition and ancillary agreements required in connection with JVs.
- Advise private equity firm in the acquisition and disposition of interests in real estate joint ventures.
- Advise real estate developers in the formation of joint ventures, capital raising, and acquisition, disposition and leasing of real estate.
- Advise gas station and convenience store chain in the acquisition, disposition and leasing of real estate and corporate matters.
- Represent landlords and tenants in negotiation of retail, office and industrial leases.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law, 2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- Urban Land Institute, Advisory Board Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section Council Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Real Property Committee
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- First Community Foundation, Board Member
- Upper Arlington Bear Cub Baseball, Coach
- Upper Arlington Civic Association, Director, 2016-2017
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Resolving Easements/Other Servitude Issues in the Commercial Context" (National Business Institute, Ultimate Guide to Commercial Real Estate Law Seminar), Columbus, Ohio, December 2018
"Negotiating Major Act Management Decisions in Retail Joint Ventures" (International Council of Shopping Centers U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Roundtable), Orlando, Florida, October 2018
"Legal Considerations for Land Access" (Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association Annual Conference, Workshop), Dayton, Ohio, February 2018
"Farming and Business Law: Tips for Making Legal Rules Work for You" (Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association Annual Conference, Workshop), Dayton, Ohio, February 2017