Dennis is a member of the Indianapolis office of Frost Brown Todd and practices in the areas of intellectual property and aviation law. He has had a life-long passion for technology, particularly electronic, software and aerospace technology. Prior to becoming an attorney, Dennis was a control systems engineer and also served as an F-15E weapon systems officer and electronic warfare specialist for the U.S. Air Force. His design engineering and military aviator backgrounds have proven invaluable in advancing the legal interests of innovative technology and aerospace companies for nearly 20 years.
Dennis assists clients in obtaining, enforcing and defending against intellectual property rights and regulatory compliance issues. His representations include corporations in a wide range of industries, including the manufacturing, aerospace, transportation, medical device, electronics and software industries. His experience includes strategic patent portfolio management counseling, patent-related risk mitigation counseling and opinions, patent preparation and prosecution, post-grant strategies, licensing, and patent enforcement and infringement defense.
He also represents aircraft owners, operators, and pilots in transactions, entity formation, and regulatory compliance issues, including those facing investigations and enforcement actions before the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board.
Dennis' passion for the aviation and technology extends outside the office; he continues to pilot standard and experimental general aviation aircraft, including historic WWII aircraft as a volunteer pilot for the Commemorative Air Force.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation-Intellectual Property 2018-2019
Named Indiana Patent Star by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine: 2016, 2017, 2018
- Superior Performer, Operational Readiness Inspection, 4th FW, USAF:1998
- Air Medal, 335th FS, USAF, Operation Southern Watch (Iraq No-Fly Enforcement): 1995
- Top Graduate, USAF Navigator Training: 1992
- Super Crow, USAF Electronic Warfare Course: 1992
- Distinguished Graduate, USAF Officer Training School: 1990
- Boys Nation Senator (WI), American Legion:1982
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America: 1978
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Past Intellectual Property Section Executive Committee)
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Experimental Aircraft Association (Life Member)
- Commemorative Air Force: National Board of Directors, Past Wing Leader and Operations Officer of Indiana Wing
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Patents, Avionics & Software Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture, Oshkosh, WI, July 25, 2018
Innovation Legal Toolbox: Identifying, Evaluating and Protecting Intellectual Property in the Aerospace Industry, Oshkosh, WI, July 27, 2017
Insights to PTAB/IBR, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, January 26, 2016
Innovation Legal Tool Box: Intellectual Property for the Aerospace Industry Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture, Oshkosh, WI, July 23, 2015
Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Presents "Invasion of the Drones," ICLEF Conference Facility, 230 E. Ohio Street, 5th Floor Indianapolis, IN 46204, May 22, 2015