Drew focuses his practice in the areas of corporate law, entrepreneurial law and mergers and acquisitions, and is passionate about helping emerging businesses succeed.
He regularly counsels clients ranging from startups to mature companies on issues pertaining to their businesses and operations, including entity formation, contract negotiation, securities compliance, private equity financing, corporate governance, organizational structuring and general business advice.
Drew represents entrepreneurs and companies in a diverse set of industries, including internet-based, digital media, manufacturing, distribution, healthcare, food & beverage, industrial goods & waste management, and business services industries.
Drew earned his J.D. from the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law and graduated with highest honors from the University of Louisville College of Business with a bachelor's degree in business administration, where he earned a 4.0 GPA and was recognized as the "Outstanding Senior in Finance."
- Representing clients in private offerings to raise capital, including preparation of numerous private placement memoranda (with offerings ranging from $500,000 to $30 million).
- Organizing limited liability companies and corporations, including preparation of governing documents such as operating agreements, bylaws, and shareholders' agreements.
- Representing a hospitality startup company in multiple offerings to fund new concepts in polished casual segment of restaurant industry.
- Representing a private equity firm in its acquisition of portfolio companies and investments.
- Representing a publicly traded healthcare company in its $150 million follow-on offering.
- Representing a publicly traded healthcare company in its strategic acquisitions of healthcare companies in an aggregate amount of over $100 million.
- Representing mature, privately held healthcare company in its strategic investment in healthcare technology company.
- Representing startup company in the women's lifestyle, fitness and wellness industry with the sale of substantially all of its assets.
- Representing publicly traded ophthalmic company in strategic acquisitions of optical laboratories throughout the continental U.S.
- Representing family-owned business in the mattress industry with sale of substantially all of its assets.
- Representing small business owner in succession planning of family-owned general contracting business.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Louisville Business First's "20 People to Know in Law," 2017
- Corporate Law Section of the Louisville Bar Association, Chair, 2016
- Business Law Section of the Louisville Bar Association, Vice-Chair, 2015
- Book Award (Top Grade), Corporation Law and Negotiations, 2014
- Louis D. Brandeis American Inn of Court, Pupil Member, 2014
- Wall Street Journal Award, 2011
- Most Outstanding Senior in Finance, 2011
Memberships & Affiliations
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Here are YPAL's new officers and directors
- Here's who's on the 2018 Leadership Louisville board of directors
- People to know in law: Drew Eckman
- Greater Louisville Inc. board names new chair-elect and members
- YPAL isn't just for 'the suits' anymore
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville names new board members
- YPAL names new board of directors, officers
- YPAL names new officers, board of directors
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL), President
- Leadership Louisville Center, Board of Directors, Ex-Officio Director
- Greater Louisville Inc. (GLI), Board of Directors, Non-voting Representative Director
- St. Xavier Emerging Leaders Society, Founding Member
- Front Row Foundation, Secretary and Director
- Charlie George Invitational Charitable Giving Fund (charitable golf tournament benefitting local charities)
- Leadership Louisville Center's Ignite Louisville, Class of 2017
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Rethinking Lawsuits Against Law Schools: Graduates Must Overcome Significant Hurdles to Prevail Against Alma Maters, Copyright © 2013 by Jefferson Law Book Company - 42 J.L. & Educ. 575
UK/CLE Kentucky Corporation Law Handbook, 3d ed. Update, Ch. 17 Selected Securities Law Issues for the Corporate Practitioner (2017)
Preparing Your Clients for the Sale of a Business, Louisville Bar Association's Bar Briefs, April 2016 issue
Crowdfunding: What Kentucky Attorneys Need to Know, Louisville Bar Association's Bar Briefs, April 2015 issue