Griffin Terry Sumner
Griffin is a member in Frost Brown Todd's appellate practice group. As an appellate advocate, Griffin has been appellate counsel in over 130 matters in the Kentucky appellate courts. She has briefed and/or argued cases in various appellate forums, including the Kentucky Supreme Court, the Kentucky Court of Appeals, the Supreme Courts of Georgia and Tennessee, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits. Her appellate experience includes constitutional issues, commercial disputes, corporate acquisition matters, zoning litigation, personal injury defense, punitive damages, energy law, employment law, administrative law, defamation, business torts, employment law and insurance coverage claims. In addition to handling appellate litigation, Griffin also works with clients to evaluate cases before and after trial for potential appeal and to achieve settlement before or during appeals.
Griffin is the co-author of the legal treatise, Kentucky Appellate Practice, and is a frequent speaker in the areas of appellate litigation and legal writing. Griffin is also a contributing author to two ABA's treatises, Superseding and Staying Judgments and the Appellate Practice Compendium. She is a former Chair of the Kentucky Bar Association's Appellate Advocacy Committee and the Louisville Bar Association's Appellate Practice Committee. She is also a former member of the Executive Board of the ABA’s Council of Appellate Lawyers, and is the former Editor-in-Chief of the ABA Section of Litigation’s Appellate Practice Journal. Griffin obtained her law degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, Order of the Coif, where she served on the Editorial Board of the Cincinnati Law Review.
Griffin also represents major insurance companies in all phases of litigation, at both the trial court and appellate court levels, regarding complex coverage and fraud issues and bad faith exposure. Her practice includes numerous cases in both federal and state courts in Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, California, and Alabama. In addition, Griffin also advises the Firm's insurance clients regarding claims handling procedures and determinations to accept or deny liability for losses.
Highlights & Recognitions
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated, Martindale Hubbell®
- Louisville Magazine's Top Lawyers (Appellate Practice)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Council of Appellate Lawyers, Member; Executive Board, 2007-2010
- American Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee
- Appellate Practice Journal, Co-Editor, 2005-2009
- Kentucky Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Chair, 2011-2012
- Louisville Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Chair 2010-2011
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- Louisville Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys named to 2019 Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Kentucky Rising Stars® Lists
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2017
- WDRB Selects Frost Brown Todd as Legal Counsel
- Seven Frost Brown Todd Attorneys to Present at 2013 KBA Convention
- 40 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Volunteer and Fundraiser for various charitable organizations, including St. Bernadette Catholic Church, St. Mary Academy, American Association for the Hard of Hearing
- Springhurst Swim Team, Board of Directors and past president
- Springhurst Community Association, past Board of Directors
- Zachary Taylor Elementary School, PTA Executive Board
- Prospect Latin School, past PTA President
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Various seminar presentations regarding legal writing and appellate practice
Co-author: Kentucky Appellate Practice (West-Thomson 2005)
Contributing author: The Appellate Practice Compendium (ABA 2012)
Contributing author: Superseding and Staying Judgments (ABA 2007)
Co-editor-in-chief: Appellate Practice Journal
Author: "A Critical Analysis of 1993 Amendments to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,"
U. Cinn. Law Rev. (1995)
Co-author: "Health Care Reform: A Free Market Proposal,"
Loy. Cons. L.J. (1995).