Heather L. Wilson
Heather is a member of the labor and employment practice group and Member-in-Charge of the Indianapolis office. She concentrates her practice in employment litigation and general business counseling. Heather represents employers in both federal and state court involving claims under Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), covenants not to compete and wage claims.
Heather represents employers in proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Indiana Civil Rights Commission. She also counsels employers on litigation avoidance.
Additionally Heather provides training programs for clients & human resources professionals including the following topics:
- Navigating the Legal Issues Employers Face With Social Networking
- Demystifying Covenants Not to Compete
- Recruiting/Hiring for the Discriminating Employer
- Maintaining a Harassment Free Workplace
- Investigating Employee Conduct
- Harassment and Discrimination in the Classroom
- Practical Tips to Reduce Risks in Interviewing, Firing and Handling Workplace Issues
- The Essentials of Recruiting and Hiring
- Preventing Harassment in the Workplace
- Investigating and Documenting the Worker’s Compensation Injury
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Investigating Employee Misconduct and Disciplining and Discharging an Employee
- Common and Costly Mistakes Employers Make in Paying Their Workforce
- Retaliation: A New Frontier
- Diversity: Understanding and Appreciating our Differences
- Practical Tips for Conducting Performance Reviews and Coaching
Abdullah Ennin v. CNH Industrial - summary judgment granted on claims under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, FMLA and miscellaneous state law claims. Affirmed by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Anthony Bridges v. SVC Manufacturing, Inc.--summary judgment granted on claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Howard D. Harris v. SVC Manufacturing, Inc. et al.--summary judgment granted on race claims under Title VII.
Timothy Runyon v. Applied Extrusion Technologies, Inc.--obtained judgment as a matter of law on claim under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Affirmed by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Krysten Overly v. KeyBank et al.--summary judgment granted on gender, harassment and retaliation claims under Title VII. Affirmed by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Brunker v. Schwan's Home Service, Inc.--summary judgment granted on claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Jacques Jeanlouis v. Product Action International, LLC--summary judgment granted on national origin discrimination.
Michael Childers v. Product Action International, Inc.--summary judgment granted on wrongful discharge claim. Affirmed by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Deborah Mayer v. Monroe County Community School Corp, et al.-- summary judgment granted on First Amendment claim and retaliation. Affirmed by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
John Gause v. Tobias Insurance Group, Inc.--action for declaratory judgment, preliminary injunction and tortious interference involving a non-solicitation clause.
Brown v. Danville Community School Corp.--summary judgment granted on sexual harassment, discrimination claims.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2013-2018
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2009, 2014–2018, "Top 25 Women in Indiana," 2016
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation Distinguished Fellow, 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee, Board Member, 2016-present, Executive Committee, 2017-present
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, 2014-present
- Indiana Repertory Theatre, Board Member, 2016-present
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce Civil Justice Committee, Chair
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana Indiana Employment Section, former Chair
- Indianapolis Bar Association Labor and Employment Committee, former Chair
- Defense Research Institute
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Changes to Indiana’s Wage Statutes Welcomed by Employers
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Itself on How Far an Employer Must Go in Assigning Disabled Employees
- Indiana Statewide Smoking Ban Effective July 1
- Indiana Supreme Court Interprets--and Reinterprets--Indiana’s Blacklisting Statute
- First Right-to-Work Law in More than a Decade
- Staying Union-Free in 2011
- Indiana eighth to offer state employees parental leave
- As age discrimination law turns 50, bias becomes subtler, harder to prove
- Courier deliveries diminishing with e-filing
- LGBT equality a firm priority
- Women attorneys frustrated compensation gap still wide
- Indiana law firms showcase local artists
- Frost Brown Todd announces new leader
- Chamber Celebrates Business Community
- Steak n Shake hit with overtime lawsuit
- 1L Summer Program Opportunities Lunch & Learn (Indiana University Maurer School of Law)
- Challenges and Opportunities in Managing the Millennial Workforce
- InsuranceConnect 2018
- 54 Practical Issues, Tips and Traps for Employment Lawyers - Live Seminar
- AutoConnect 2013
- Ethics and Professionalism: A pragmatic review of current issues in several substantive areas and how they are impacted by considerations of ethics and professionalism.
- Buy Local and Hire Carefully - Impacts of the new local Indiana business preference statute, E-Verify requirements, and Department of Labor initiatives
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Chambers USA®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers and Indiana Rising Stars
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- Frost Brown Todd Partners with Local Artists
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- Frost Brown Todd Names Heather L. Wilson Member-in-Charge of Indianapolis Office
- Frost Brown Todd Member Heather L. Wilson Receives Indiana Chamber’s Volunteer of the Year Award
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Employment Law Boot Camp," Indiana Chamber's 49th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2013
"Boot Camp For The HR Professional," Indiana Chamber's 48th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2012
"Navigating the Legal Issues Employers Face With Social Networking," Indiana Chamber's 47th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2011
"How Recent Supreme Court Decisions Are Impacting Employment Lawyers And Their Clients," The Impact of Supreme Court Employment Law Cases, 2011.
DRI Employment Law State by State Compendium, Indiana Employment Laws, 2010, 2011
"Employment Law Case Law Update: Supreme Court and Seventh Circuit Cases From 2009-2010," Indiana Chamber's 46th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2010
"Demystifying Covenants Not to Compete," Indiana Chamber's 45th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2009
"The ADAAA: Expanding Who is Disabled Under the Americans With Disabilities Act," The Harmonie Group Spring Conference, 2009
Testimony before the Indiana Senate Committee on Pensions and Labor and the Indiana House Committee on Labor and Employment, in support of Senate Bill No. 276 regarding wage payments.
“Employment Law Update: Notable Recent State and Federal Employment Law Cases,” Indiana Chamber's 44th Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2008
“FMLA/ADA/Worker’s Compensation: Managing Leaves of Absence and What We Have Learned in the Last Year,” 43rd Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2007
“Employment Law Update: Notable Recent State and Federal Employment Law Cases," DTCI, 2007
“Sexual Harassment and Gender Discrimination: Issues and Answers for Today and Tomorrow,“ ICLEF, 2006
“Review of 2005-06 Employment-Related Decisions from U.S. Supreme Court,” IBA/Labor Law Section, 2006
“Averting the Legal Challenges that Arise From “Constructive Discharge” and “Wrongful Termination,” ICLEF, 2006
“Understanding and Complying With the Ever-Changing Employment and Labor Laws,” Lorman, 2006
“Managing Leaves of Absences,” 42nd Annual Human Resources Conference and Expo, 2006
“New I-9 Form Now Required,” Locke Reynolds Employment Law Update, 2008
“Indiana’s New Military Leave Act,” Locke Reynolds Construction & Real Estate Law Update, 2007
“Answers to Your ADA Questions,” Locke Reynolds Construction & Real Estate Law Update, 2007
“Supreme Court Reaffirms the Narrowness of the Frampton Exception,” Indiana Lawyer, March 2007
“Section 1981 -- An Attractive Option for Employees Claiming Race Discrimination,” Locke Reynolds Employment Law Update, 2005
“Employers Beware--Sick Leave May Constitute Wages Under the Indiana Wage Statute,” Locke Reynolds Employment Law Update, 2002
“A Company Party May Cost More than You Realize,” Locke Reynolds Employment Law Update, 2002