Jan de Beer
Jan is a member at Frost Brown Todd LLC and practices in the firm’s corporate department. He concentrates his practice in the area of international regulation and trade with a particular focus on import and export matters, customs regulations, labeling requirements, and transaction licensing. Jan has significant experience in counseling clients as to their responsibilities under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and export licensing obligations under the Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations ("EAR") and the Department of State’s International Traffic In Arms Regulations ("ITAR"). In addition, he advises companies and individuals in matters relating to U.S. embargoes and sanctions, with experience in both the voluntary disclosure of violations and obtaining appropriate licenses for international transactions. He also assists companies importing goods into the United States with customs law issues, including classification and valuation of products; Customs duty protests; and country of origin and other labeling requirements.
Highlights & Recognitions
Law360's Top Ten International Trade Attorneys Under 40 to Watch, 2010
Assisted defense article manufacturers with international trade compliance issues, including: (1) compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and registration hereunder; and (2) performing general export compliance audits and filing of Voluntary Disclosures for export violations
Worked to obtain export licenses from the Bureau of Industry and Security for the export of U.S. products and technology
Assisted with the creation and implementation of a FCPA policy and attendant procedures for a U.S. exporter
Created and assisted with the implementation of an International Trade Compliance Plans for U.S. manufacturers
Prepared Commodity Jurisdiction Requests with both the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls and Bureau of Industry and Security to obtain appropriate classification for exported products
Assisted a client with the licensing of a proposed sale of medical equipment and supplies to hospitals in the Middle East
Assisted numerous clients with filing Voluntary Disclosures with the Office of Foreign Assets Control, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, and Bureau of Industry Security for export compliance violations
Led on-site export compliance training seminars to company officers, directors, and employees
Assisted with the international service of process and procurement of evidence under (1) the Hague Convention on the Service of Abroad of Judicial and Extra-Judicial Documents in Civil and Commercial Matters; and (2) the Hague Convention on Taking Evidence Abroad in Civil or Commercial Matters
Assisted in the representation of a client before both the International Trade Administration and International Trade Commission in numerous antidumping proceedings, including: (1) a Changed Circumstance Review; (2) a Five-Year Sunset Review of the Antidumping Order; and (3) administrative reviews.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky World Trade Center
- Section 301 Tariffs on Chinese Products and Retaliatory Tariffs by China on U.S. Goods
- Section 232 Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum Imports
- Exemptions and Exclusions to the New Steel Tariff
- President Trump Formally Orders Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum Imports
- Sixth Round of NAFTA Talks Wraps Up with Some Progress
- Trump Administration Releases NAFTA Renegotiating Objectives
- Trump Administration Formally Triggers NAFTA Renegotiation
- Could President-Elect Trump Kill NAFTA?
- Uncertainty about DOT’s “Buy America” Requirement for Federally Funded Highway Projects
- Iran Deal Adoption Day: When can I start trading with Iran?
- Importers of Aluminum Extrusions from the People's Republic of China may be Subject to Increased Duty
- Bribery, Billions, and Bureaucrats: The FCPA and its Global Application
- Import Anxiety - What do we do?
- ALP: Is my product “Made in the USA”?
- ALP: When is a Person an Export?
- ALP: My company is ready to do business internationally. What has changed since 9/11?
- Informed Generosity
- What’s changed since 9.11 in the Global Movement of People and Goods?
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Kentucky World Trade Center, Board Member
- University of Virginia Club of Lexington, President 2000-2013
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Host & Presenter: Kentucky World Trade Center and Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce International Trade Certification Program, May 2013
LAW360 - March 2013: Q & A with Frost Brown Todd's Jan de Beer - Clarifying jurisdictional boundaries and streamlining communication between Government departments in the International Arena.
Presenter: Kentucky World Trade Center, Export 101 Program, Louisville, KY February 2013
Host & Presenter: Kentucky World Trade Center Export Compliance Seminar, Louisville, KY November 2012
Host & Moderator: Business In The Americas Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio - Focus on expanding business in the Western Hemisphere and interaction with business and attorneys throughout Latin America and Canada. April, 2012
Host & Presenter: Kentucky World Trade Center - International Trade Certification Program March - June 2012 / A four-part annual certification program for the International Business Community.
Presenter: Kentucky Export Initiative - Legal Considerations for Exporters Bluegrass Area Development District Office and Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development, March 2012
* Kentucky Goes Global - Export Training Seminar: Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development and Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation, May 2011
* Kentucky Goes Global - Export Training Seminar: Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development, Richmond, KY, March 2011
* Kentucky Goes Global - Export Training Seminar: Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development, Prestonsburg, KY, February 2011
* Overview of Legal Issues Implementing International Transactions
13th Biennial Business Law Institute, Louisville, Kentucky, February 2011
* Sourcing from China - Strategies for Success
Kentucky World Trade Center (KWTC), February 2011
* Complying with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR): Kentucky World Trade Center (KWTC), March 2009
* International Distribution Agreements
Miami Valley International Trade Association (MVITA), November 2008
* Exporting to the European Union - An Overview: Kentucky World Trade Center: European Global Business Network, July 2008
* International Trade: Hot Topics - Frost Brown Todd, CLE Event, October 2007
* Deemed Exports - Frost Brown Todd, CLE Event, May 2007
* International Trade: Legal Issues and Concerns - Edison Materials Technology Center, Dayton, Ohio, December 2006
* "10+2" Equals Added Requirements, Costs for Carriers and Importers
MultiLaw- International Trade, Customs and Commodity Tax Bulletin, March 2009
* Managing Exporter Liability in a Global Economy: Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory December 2005
* Trading with the Enemy: Frost Brown Todd International Communique, March 2005