Jeffery T. Gorham
Jeff has extensive experience in building and implementing insurance legal and regulatory compliance programs, bringing more than six years of insurance/regulatory experience to the firm.
Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Jeff worked in the Regulatory Compliance department at Guggenheim Partners’ flagship insurance company, Guggenheim Life and Annuity. There, Jeff served as Counsel and Anti-Fraud coordinator, providing legal advice to executives and employees regarding Anti-Money Laundering and fraud, as well as the day-to-day business matters of actuarial, administration, claims, finance, marketing, and new business units. Jeff also oversaw several state market conduct audits and exams and assisted on multiple reinsurance transactions.
Jeff is also a member of the Blockchain and Digital Currency team, where he counsels startups and incumbent companies on regulatory compliance and risk matters, including Initial Coin Offerings (“ICOs”), Bitcoin and Virtual Currency ATMs, state and federal money transmitter laws, compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act, and general business and corporate advice.
Jeff is certified in Insurance Regulatory Compliance and Market Conduct Management.
- Has counseled multiple insurance carriers in market conduct and other administrative enforcement actions in several states.
- Counsels insurance carriers on day-to-day compliance matters across all business units.
- Represented the Digital Currency and Ledger Defense Coalition in filing its Brief of Amicus Curiae in U.S. v. Coinbase, 3:17-CV-01431 N.D. Cal. (2017).
- Serves as outside General Counsel to a blockchain startup company focused on land registries.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Market Conduct Manager, Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society (IRES), 2015
- Associate, Insurance Regulatory Compliance, Life Office Management Association (LOMA), 2014
Memberships & Affiliations
- Digital Currency and Ledger Defense Coalition, Member, 2016-Present
- Life and Annuity Insurance Advanced Marketing Study Group, Member, 2012-Present
- Indiana Bar Association, Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, 2010-Present
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Member, 2009 – Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2009 – Present
Recent Blog Posts
- New York Attorney General Launches Inquiry into Cryptocurrency Exchanges
- Arizona Creates Legislative Sandbox to Foster Fintech Business Growth
- Bitcoin ATMs: What They Are and How They Work
- A Regulatory Primer for Bitcoin ATM Operators – Federal Law & Regulations
- A Regulatory Primer for Bitcoin ATM Operators – State Law & Regulations
- Legal Issues of Owning and Operating a Bitcoin ATM Business
- FinCEN Cracks-Down on Yet Another Alleged Illegitimate Virtual Currency Exchange, Raising More Concerns for Legitimate Exchanges
- Conference of State Bank Supervisors Sues U.S. Comptroller over Non-Bank Charter Rule
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Orkestra Projekt, Board of Directors, 2016 – Present
- Indianapolis Arts Chorale, Board of Directors, 2017 – Present
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"The ups and downs of investing in bitcoin," The Indiana Lawyer, January 2018
"Blockchain will not disrupt lawyers out of a job," Distributed Magazine, 2017
"Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: What Financial Planners Need to Know," Financial Planners Association of Greater Indiana Annual Meeting, November 17, 2017
"Blockchains, Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies: What does it all mean?," The Indiana Lawyer, August 2017
Distributed Insurance: Forecasting Blockchain’s Impact on the Insurance Industry, Blockchain and the Law Symposium, Vanderbilt Law School, April 2017