Jeffrey S. Dible
Jeff concentrates his practice in estate planning, taxation and general business law. He prepares wills and trusts, supervises the administration of estates and trusts, represents various parties in guardianships and contested will or trust litigation, and provides gift tax and estate planning advice to professionals and business owners in the larger context of business succession. Jeff regularly lectures to attorneys and other estate planning professionals on a variety of estate planning and tax topics. He has frequently testified before committees of the Indiana General Assembly in favor of or against various bills to amend Indiana’s trust, estate and guardianship laws, including the 2012-13 repeal of the Indiana inheritance tax. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and has been certified as an Indiana Trust and Estate Lawyer by the Indiana Trust and Estate Specialty Board (TESB).
Served as the chairperson of the Indiana State Bar Association's Electronic Documents Task Force (2017-2018) and as the principal drafter of Indiana's electronic wills, trusts and POAs legislation (2018 House Enrolled Act 1303, P.L. 40-2018).
Appellate court victory on visitation issues in contested adult guardianship case.
Expert witness work in numerous trust and estate litigation matters.
Numerous trust modification and reformation proceedings in probate courts.
One U.S. Tax Court trial and two successful pre-trial settlements.
Certified as a specialist in Indiana in estate planning and administration since 2007.
Representation of businesses in administrative appeals and in the Indiana Tax Court regarding Indiana income tax and sales and use tax disputes.
Advice to and representation of new and existing nonprofit charitable entities with respect to initial formation, qualification for 501(c)(3) status, reorganization, and internal governance.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Indiana Lawyer, Leadership in Law Awards, Distinguished Barrister, 2017
- Patricia Paxton Wagner Award for Excellence in Estate Planning and Administration, from the Indianapolis Bar Association's Estate Planning & Administration Section, 2011
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2007–2018
- Named in “Indiana Top 50” in Indiana Super Lawyers® magazine, February 2014, February 2015, February 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Trusts and Estates Law, 2011–2019; Trusts & Estates Litigation, 2013–2018; Litigation & Controversy - Tax, 2013–2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© Indianapolis Litigation and Controversy Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© Indianapolis Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2018-2019
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow, 2006; Indiana State Chair for ACTEC beginning in 2016
- Indiana State Bar Association, Presidential Citations, 2002 and 2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- Estate Planning Council of Indianapolis, Board Member, 2005-2013; Vice President, 2010-2011; President, 2011-2012
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Estate Planning and Administration Section, Executive Committee, 2004-2012
- Indiana State Bar Association; Taxation Section, Past Chair; Investment Committee, 2008-present; District 11 Representative to the Board of Governors, 2011-2012; Probate Review Committee
- Indiana Trust and Estate Specialty Board (TESB), 2006-2015; co-chairperson in 2012-2014
- Congress Passes Extended Estate and Gift Tax Relief for 2013 (With a Change in Rates)
- Time is Running Out to Plan for 2013 Tax Rate Changes
- Indiana’s Inheritance Tax Will Begin a Phased-in Repeal in 2013
- Four Quick Estate Planning Thoughts for 2011-2012
- For a Limited Time . . . Enhanced Estate and Gift Tax Relief
- Fixing the estate tax mess in 2010: By the time you read this ...
- New law allows for electronic signing of wills, trusts, powers of attorney
- House passes bill allowing for e-signing of probate documents
- Leadership in Law 2017: Jeffrey S. Dible
- Jeffrey S. Dible receives Presidential Citation at Indiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting
- Estate lawyers' duty of responsibility clarified in proposed legislation
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars®
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers and Indiana Rising Stars
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 11 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 12 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2012
- Jeffrey S. Dible Receives 2011 Patricia Paxton Wagner Award
- 13 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as 2012 “Lawyers of the Year”
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 8 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2011
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 18 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 7 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2010
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Advisors – Protectors – Trustees, Oh My! Dividing Powers and Responsibilities Among Multiple Fiduciaries for Trusts.” June 11, 2015. Annual Estate, Tax & Business Planning Institute, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Form (ICLEF).
“Cognitive Decline and Ethical and Practical Responses to Clients’ Sudden or Growing Incapacity.” November 14, 2014. Evansville Bar Association, 25th Annual EBA Estate and Business Planning Institute.
“(1) Update on Matrimonial Trusts, (2) ‘Stale’ Beneficiary Designations After Divorce, and (3) Estate Planning for Married Couples in the 21st Century —Income Tax Planning in Light of Portability.” May 6, 2014. ISBA Probate and Family Law Sections.
"The New Kentucky Decanting Statute: How and When to Use It...and Tax Consequences." July 26, 2013, Lexington, KY. 40th Annual Midwest-Midsouth Estate Planning Institute; University of Kentucky Office of Legal Education.
"Sales of Distressed Real Estate in Estate Administration," Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Indianapolis, June 20, 2012.
"Early Termination and Modification of Trusts," Lorman national teleconference / webinar, 2012-2016 (various dates).
"A Straight Path to Inheritance Tax Repeal," Res Gestae, April 2012.
"Portability Elections for Married Decedents under Code Section 2010(c)," April 24, 2012. Indiana State Bar Association's Probate, Trust & Real Property, Indianapolis.
"Trust Decanting," May 2,2012. Indiana Bankers Association MegaConference, Indianapolis.
“Early Termination and Modification of Trusts in Indiana,” Evansville Bar Association 2011 Estate Planning Institute, November 18, 2011; Estate Planning Council of Central Illiana, Terre Haute, May 17, 2012.
“Cognitive Decline and Ethical and Practical Responses to Clients’ Sudden or Growing Incapacity,” Estate Planning Council of Indianapolis, January 19, 2012; Fort Wayne Estate Planning Council, November 17, 2011; Estate Planning Council of Central Illiana, May 17, 2012.
“Ethical Considerations in Asset Protection Planning,” ICLEF Indianapolis, November 2, 2011
“Recent Gift & Estate Tax Changes: Post-2010 Compliance and Future Planning Opportunities,” Estate Planning Council of Louisville, September 22, 2011
Estate Planning in 2010 and Prospects for Estate and Gift Tax Legislation
Five lectures in March, April, September (Nashville, TN) and October 2010
ICLEF, July 25, 2008 (co-chair)
“Minors’ Trusts, Trusts with Withdrawal Powers, and Uniform Transfers to Minors Act”
ICLEF Specialty Certification Training, 2006 through 2008 and 2012
“Drafting and Funding Marital Trusts”
ICLEF, 2006 (also program chair)
"Basics of Trust Administration"
Lorman national teleconference / webinar, 2009 – 2016 (various dates)
“Durable Powers of Attorney: Forms and Issues”
Indianapolis Bar Association, 2006
“Family Limited Partnerships and LLCs”
“Estate and Gift Tax Changes in the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997”
Res Gestae,Indiana State Bar Association, 1997
“What Hoosiers Should Know About Advance Directives”
Indianapolis Business Journal, 2005
“Plates, Paintings and Junk Complicate Estate Planning”
Indianapolis Business Journal, 2004
“Uses and Misuses of Joint Revocable Trusts”
Indiana Lawyer, Indianapolis Bar Association, 2004