John M. Stephenson
John has spent more than 35 years representing clients engaged in cross-border business and finance. With extensive experience in both inbound and outbound transactions, he helps clients analyze, structure and implement effective foreign investment strategies. Because of his depth of experience, John is culturally attuned to working with business clients around the world and is well equipped to help them meet the challenges and opportunities afforded by today's global marketplace.
John has represented U.S. investors conducting business in a wide variety of jurisdictions, including Latin America (including NAFTA-related matters), Europe, Russia/CIS, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. He is equally skilled in helping non-U.S. investors successfully negotiate the complexities of establishing or expanding operations in the United States.
John routinely helps clients structure and document a broad range of investment and distribution arrangements, including the following:
- Corporate finance
- Mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions
- Joint ventures
- Licensing arrangements
- Partnerships, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies
- Secured financings
- Letters of credit
- Real estate financing, acquisitions, and dispositions
John’s experience also includes extensive involvement with international energy projects and financings in many of the major global production regions, including North America; the UK and Dutch sectors of the North Sea; the Middle East and North Africa; Central and South America; Asia; and Russia/CIS.
- Represented Mexican company in its negotiation and documentation of a construction contract for a facility in Mexico.
- Represented U.S. investor in establishing Maltese holding company with subsidiary in Ghana.
- Negotiated and documented joint venture agreement between two U.S. based companies for development and operation of facilities and operations in Ghana and other jurisdictions in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean.
- Advised U.S. oil field services company on negotiation of multiple master service agreements with operations and owners.
- Represented German investor groups in negotiating and acquiring real estate in District of Columbia, Florida, Texas, Washington and other jurisdictions, including preparation of limited partnership agreements and roll-up of a number of limited partnerships.
- Assisted U.S. company migrating its subsidiary operating outside the United States from a Caribbean jurisdiction to a European jurisdiction.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Texas Bar Association; International Law Section, past Chairman; Corporation and Business Law Section; Real Estate Section; Energy and Natural Resources Section
- International Bar Association, Energy and Natural Resources Section, Business Law Section, Banking Committee, Business Organizations Committee
- The Southwestern Institute for International and Comparative Law, Advisory Board
- American Bar Association, International Law Section, former member and council member; Mexico and International Secured Transactions committees, former chairman; Business Law section
- United States – Mexico Law Institute, Inc., former chairman and president
- United States – Mexico Chamber of Commerce, Bi-National Board of Directors; Southwest Chapter, former president
- International Bar Association Foundation, Inc., past trustee
- Member, Board of Directors, Kozolchyk National Law Center, formerly known as National Law Center for Inter-American Free Trade, Tucson, Arizona, February 1, 2018-