Kai is the chair of our international industry team, fbtGlobal, and the head of the firm’s German Desk. His practice is concentrated on advising multinational businesses in corporate and commercial matters and regularly involves mergers and acquisitions, joint venture formations, distribution and agency agreements, and transnational dispute resolution. Kai is admitted as a lawyer both in Germany and Ohio.
Kai has been recognized by Chambers Global as "an excellent go-to choice for advising German clients in the USA" (2014) and "excellent in international matters" under Corporate/M&A - USA (2015).
Prior to joining our firm, he practiced in the corporate departments of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and Baker & McKenzie in Germany. He graduated from his law school in Muenster/Germany in 2000 and holds a post-graduate degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
Lead US counsel to many foreign-owned companies from various industries, including tier 1 and 2 automotive suppliers, plastic molding, commercial knives, spirits label printer, industrial sensors, waste separators, gear drives, automotive safety technologies, coating equipment, machine tooling, and others. Recent highlights include:
- Advised TecDAX company regarding its acquisition of PE owned manufacturer with operations in California, Vietnam, United Kingdom and Singapore.
- Advised TecDAX company regarding its acquisition of Indiana based manufacturer.
- Advised German owned manufacturer of environmental technologies on various strategic alliances for the US and Asian markets.
- Advised publicly traded US mid-cap regarding the reorganization of its foreign subsidiaries.
- Advised German high-end packaging manufacturer regarding its acquisition of manufacturing operations in California and Tennessee.
- Advised publicly traded US mid-cap in connection with its acquisition of German based call center operator.
- Advised leading industrial education provider headquartered in Germany in connection with establishing US apprenticeship program and its cooperation with technical colleges, companies and apprentices.
- Advised German supplier of systems for surface finishing technology and environmental technology on large-scale OEM projects and formation of US based joint venture.
- Advised German market leader on possible joint venture with European competitor for US market.
- Advised German supplier of systems for surface finishing technology and environmental technology on large-scale OEM projects.
- Advised German and Italian owned companies on entry into and expansion within US market, through acquisitions and Greenfield investments.
- Trained sales staff and legal department of German owned companies on key concerns in US commercial contracts.
- Advised on successful acquisition of Ohio based engineering firm.
- Advised US based material handling automation and software engineering company on License and Know-how Transfer Agreement with German equipment maker.
- Advised German owned companies on entry into and expansion within US market, through acquisitions and Greenfield investments.
- Assisted publicly listed client with post-acquisition integration of subsidiaries in 24 countries.
- Advised on international aspects of acquisition and acquisition attempts by US listed acquirer of US and non-US targets.
- Lead US counsel for German manufacturer in acquisition attempt of Swiss target with significant US operations.
- Advised US tier 1 automotive supplier in technology licensing and transfer negotiations with US customer and German contract manufacturer.
- Advised US private equity fund in acquisition attempt of German owned US-based tier 1 automotive supplier.
- Advised British specialist engineering conglomerate in sale of US manufacturing business.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Listed by Chambers Global as "excellent in international matters; he's engaging and supporting." Chambers Global, March 2015
- Listed by Chambers Global as "excellent go-to choice for advising German clients in the USA." Chambers Global, March 2014
Recent Blog Posts
- Herausforderungen im USA-Markt nach der Trump-Wahl
- Im Silicon Valley zu gründen ist Zeitverschwendung
- Aufschwung der US-Industrie läuft auch ohne Trump
- Vertrauter Dialog: Convergys erwirbt Callcenter-Sparte mit Gowling, Menold und CHSH
- Gowling WLG advises listed US group Convergys in its acquisition of customer management company buw
- buw geht an US-Konzern Convergys
- Bonfiglioli Welcomes EACC in Italy
- German clothing store to open at Moerlein brewery
- German Clothing Store to Open at Moerlein Brewery
- Member Spotlight: Kai Bitter, Frost Brown Todd
- Cincinnati's Trans-Atlantic Ties
- Immigration Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions
- 2018 Manufacturing Forum Event
- Manufacturing & Distribution: Addressing Industry Challenges in 2018
- AutoConnect 2017
- 2017 Manufacturing Forum Event
- Innovative Concepts to Address Workforce Problems in Manufacturing and Distribution
- The Future of 3D Printing in the Automotive Industry
- AutoConnect 2015
- AutoConnect 2014
- Communicating Across Cultures to Grow Your Business
- 2013 Transatlantic Economic Outlook Summit
- Europe, Debt and the Euro: What’s really going on, and what does it mean for the United States?
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Contributor to the chapter on U.S. Real Estate in the Real Estate Guide for Foreign Investors by Multilaw, 2018.