Michael J. Case
Mike understands the regulatory, legal and operational challenges facing companies today, large and small. His 20+ years of legal and business experience helps clients find pragmatic solutions to complex issues in high-risk environments.
As a former general counsel, Mike helped some of the largest transportation & logistics players in the industry protect their unique business models by developing proactive multi-tiered solutions to keep the industry moving forward. His practice concentrates on a wide variety of legal and professional services, including corporate governance & structure, business transactions, independent contractor issues, insurance & risk management regulatory compliance, international transportation & logistics, federal leasing requirements, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, regulatory and licensing compliance, DOT and Hazardous Materials Compliance and warehousing. Additionally, Mike counsels transportation and insurance clients on alternative risk programs, licensing, risk retention groups, self-insured retention programs and claim handling issues related to occupational accident and workers’ compensation programs.
Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Mike served as the Chief Operating Officer, General Counsel & Secretary at a publicly traded holding company and its three transportation insurance subsidiaries and independent brokerage company, conducting business in 50 states and all Canadian provinces. Earlier in his career, he served as in-house counsel for a publicly traded auto finance company, prosecuted elected officials for fraud and misfeasance as a Deputy Attorney General, and practiced creditors rights law in Minnesota.
- Creating independent contractor programs for the transportation & logistics industry, including proper onboarding, contract compliance and insurance requirements.
- Developing claims handling protocols & best practices for the transportation industry, including primary & excess auto liability, non-trucking liability, cargo, workers’ compensation, occupational accident & contingent liability.
- Claims auditing and insurance compliance evaluation.
- Development and approval of transportation insurance programs, including primary & excess auto liability, non-trucking liability, cargo, workers’ compensation, occupational accident & contingent liability.
- Development and management of national claim departments and TPA’s, including developing claims protocols, best practices and vendor management solutions.
- Responding to market conduct, special target examinations, subpoenas, consumer complaints and other investigation brought by state and federal regulators.
- Insurance producer, business entity licensing and limited lines licensing.
- Formation and authorization of admitted and non-admitted P&C insurance companies, including licensing & surplus lines.
- Formation and authorization of various types of alternative risk-bearing entities, including domestic and off-shore captives, risk retention groups, risk purchasing groups and self-insurance programs.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Trucking Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- National Tank Truck Carriers
- Truckload Carriers Association
- Transportation Intermediaries Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- American Bus Association
- North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
- Indiana Motor Truck Association
- Ohio Trucking Association
- Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association
- Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Meals on Wheels of Central Indiana, Director