Michele Lorbieski Anderson
Michele is a trial attorney, focusing her practice on complex business disputes. She has tried and defended cases involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, contract interpretation, environmental damage, and business torts in state and federal courts, and arbitration proceedings. Michele maintains a varied business litigation practice, working with a range of clients from closely-held entities to publicly-traded companies to find the most effective solutions to business disputes both before and after litigation arises. Before joining Frost Brown Todd in 2009, Michele practiced in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins.
Michele was a member of Class VIII of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Bar Leader Series, Class V of the Indiana State Bar Association’s Leadership Development Academy, and a United Way Emerging Leader. In 2016, Michele was recognized as an Up & Coming Lawyer by the Indiana Lawyer, and she was named a Rising Star by the Indiana Super Lawyers from 2012-2016. Michele is passionate about promoting diversity in the profession, serving as a mentor through the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, and as a former Chair of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Diversity Job Fair.
Beyond her involvement in the legal community, Michele is also dedicated to serving the Indianapolis community at large. Michele has volunteered as a tutor through School on Wheels, Board Member of the Riley Cheer Guild, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Child Advocates, Guardian Ad Litem for Kids’ Voice of Indiana, and Mentor and Board Member for the Starfish Initiative. Michele’s volunteer work was recognized by the Indiana State Bar Association in 2016, when Michele received the Community Service Award.
- Obtained a $600,000 judgment on a breach of contract claim following a five-day jury trial for a client in the geospatial mapping industry. Then received summary judgment on the same breach of contract claim against a related entity under an alter ego theory.
- Obtained a permanent injunction against the former employee of a manufacturing client on a trade secret claim involving sensitive proprietary information.
- Obtained a $1.9 million judgment on claims for breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, and unfair competition for a financial services client against a competitor founded by the client’s former executive.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a manufacturing client in an environmental case following five-day bench trial.
- Defended an energy client against plaintiffs seeking over $17 million in damages for environmental and breach of contract claims, plus punitive damages. After a five-day jury trial, plaintiffs’ damages were limited to $269,000.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Central Indiana Women's Business Center Advisory Council, 2016-present
- Community Service Award, Indiana State Bar Association, 2016
- Up & Coming Lawyer, Indiana Lawyer Leadership in Law Awards, 2016
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Diversity Job Fair, Chair, 2016
- Indiana State Bar Association Leadership Development Academy, Class V
- Indianapolis Bar Association Bar Leader Series, Class VIII
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2012–2016
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2018
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, 2006-present
- Central Indiana Women’s Business Center Advisory Council, 2016
- Defense Research Institute, 2013-present
- Indianapolis Bar Association, 2010-present
- Indiana State Bar Association, 2010-present
- Sagamore Inn of Court, 2015
- Women's White Collar Defense Association, 2015-present
Recent Blog Posts
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Is Now Accepting Mortgage Related Consumer Complaints
- Attorney Fee Claims In Foreclosure Actions
- Discovery OF SARS
- Indiana Court of Appeals: Arbitration Provisions In Loan Agreements Are Enforceable After Discharge In Bankruptcy
- Indiana Courts Implement An Opt-Out Procedure To Increase The Number Of Settlement Conferences In Foreclosure Proceedings
- Indiana Court Of Appeals Rules Oral Release Of Mortgage Unenforceable, But Leaves The Door Open For Potential Enforcement Of Oral Releases Under Doctrine Of Promissory Estoppel
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars®
- Attorneys, Judges recognized at Indiana State Bar Association Awards Luncheon
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- Frost Brown Todd appoints six new members firmwide
- Frost Brown Todd names Michele Lorbieski Anderson new member in Indianapolis
- 27 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 7 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Indiana Super Lawyers®; 11 Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers® and 12 Recognized by Indiana Rising Stars® for 2012
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Kids' Voice of Indiana, Guardian Ad Litem, 2016-present
- Child Advocates, Court Appointed Special Advocate, 2014-2015
- Indianapolis Humane Society, Legal Ambassador, 2014
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Mentor, 2013-2015
- Riley Cheer Guild, Inc., Board Member, 2012-2015
- School on Wheels, Tutor, 2014
- Starfish Initiative, Mentor, 2009-present, Board Member, 2014-present
- United Way, Emerging Leader, 2016
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Presenter: Rules of Evidence for Commercial Litigators, Clear Law Institute, October 2016
Presenter: How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out), National Business Institute, October 2016
Presenter: Admission of Social Media Evidence, DRI Annual Meeting, October 2016
Presenter: Effective Case Management, Clear Law Institute, September 2016
Presenter: Litigating Closely Held Business Disputes: Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Breach of Contract and Shareholder Oppression, Stafford Publications, May 2014 and August 2015
Author: “Getting Social Media Into Evidence,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Trial Techniques Committee News, Fall 2015
Presenter: Litigating Closely Held Business Disputes: a Step-by-Step Guide, Clear Law Institute, October 2015
Author: “Getting Social Media Into Evidence,” DRI Trials and Tribulations, December 2015
Quoted: "Ruling clarifies, broadens admissibility of social media content as evidence," The Indiana Lawyer, May 2015
Author: "Getting Social Media Into Evidence," Indiana Law Review Blog, August 2014
Contributor: "Search Terms: The use of trademarked terms by Web search pages has challenged traditional boundaries of trademark protection,"
Los Angeles Lawyer, November 2005