Michael (Mike) Brewster
Mike is a managing associate in the Finance and Real Estate Practice Group. He has extensive experience representing companies in a host of transactional matters, including financing, acquisitions, joint development agreements, purchase and sale agreements, large scale due diligence projects and many other aspects of day-to-day operations.
Mike has negotiated and drafted documents for a wide variety of commercial transactions, including asset acquisitions, divestitures, asset financing, leases, and purchase and sale agreements. In addition, Mike has led and managed due diligence projects in Pennsylvania and Ohio ranging in value from $30 million to over $400 million.
Before joining Frost Brown Todd, Mike practiced at a national oil and gas boutique law firm, serving as counsel to E&P clients in both the Marcellus and Utica shale plays.
- Served as lead counsel for a private equity group in a $30 million acquisition in Pennsylvania.
- Acted as lead counsel in the negotiation, drafting and acquisition of $400 million of oil and gas leases in the Utica shale.
- Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of commercial agreements including non-disclosure agreements, master service agreements, independent contractor agreements, and transition services.
- Led Ohio due diligence team on multiple due diligence projects, including managing outside vendors, drafting defect notices, and negotiating resolutions to disputes.
- Served as local counsel in the drafting of transaction documents for a "Drillco" transaction, including securing a $100 million loan and issuing an opinion of borrower's counsel.
- Counseled major E&P operators on day-to-day issues including operations, leasing, landowner disputes, surface use agreements, rights-of-way, Master Service Agreements, and coal disturbance.
- Review loan documents and draft commercial mortgage opinions in connection with acquisition of commercial properties in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Draft $30 million private placement memorandum in connection with oil and gas well development.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Rising Stars®, 2013-2018
- Who’s Who in Energy, Pittsburgh Business Times, 2014-2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Attorneys from Frost Brown Todd’s Pittsburgh Office Recognized in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Pennsylvania Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd Pittsburgh Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Pennsylvania Rising Stars®
- Michael Brewster Recognized in 2016 Edition of Pennsylvania Rising Stars®
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Moderator and Panelist, "What Do You Mean We Can't Do That? - Antitrust Law Implications for Upstream Joint Development Arrangements," Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, 39th Annual Institute, June 19, 2018.
Speaker, "Upstream Oil and Gas Asset Acquisitions: From Confidentiality Agreement to Closing." Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 10th Annual Oil and Gas Colloquium, 2018.
2015 AAPL Annual Meeting in Nashville, TN: presented on Comparative Law of Shale Plays, discussing the Marcellus and Utica Shale plays.