Patricia Kirkwood Burgess
Patricia is a results-oriented, trusted legal advisor to her clients. For more than 20 years, she has helped individuals and businesses navigate financial difficulties and legal disputes to reach innovative, cost-effective and efficient solutions. She places great emphasis on thoroughly understanding all aspects of her clients’ businesses so she can focus not only on their legal issues, but also on the practical implications those issues have on their businesses and lives.
- Patricia currently serves as Frost Brown Todd's service team leader for Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. and its North American affiliates and leads Frost Brown Todd's representation of Toyota, with an emphasis in matters relating to troubled automotive suppliers, including large supplier and automotive bankruptcies, and risk management matters (Takata Corporation, Dana Corporation, Delphi Corporation, Johnson Rubber Company, Excello Engineered Systems, Intermet Corporation, Lear Corporation, Metavation, General Motors and Chrysler).
- Guides individual and corporate debtors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, as well as work-out negotiations outside of court across a spectrum of industries, including logistics companies, franchises and franchisors, real estate investors, restaurant owners, manufacturers, communication companies and automotive suppliers.
- Counsels businesses of varying sizes engaged in complex commercial disputes such as breach of contract, negligence, fraud, misrepresentation, tortious interference, successor liability, business ownership, control and governance issues, mineral trespass and energy-related disputes, franchise disputes and violations of various state and federal statutes.
Works with secured lenders in protecting and recovering their collateral whether through workout and forbearance, self-help remedies, state or federal court litigation, or bankruptcy proceedings.
Assists secured and unsecured creditors, debtor in possession lenders, landlords, utilities and purchasers of assets in both complex commercial bankruptcies as well as large and small individual Chapter 11 cases.
- Represents plaintiffs and defendants in preference actions nationally, fraudulent conveyance actions, claim objections, breach of fiduciary duty investigations, and any other contested or litigation matters in bankruptcy court.
- Assists individuals involved in all levels of litigation disputes, such as will contests and estate litigation, challenging and defending enforceability of contracts, fraud and negligence.
- Represents financial institutions (from local to national) in defending lender liability claims and violations of state and federal statutes, as well as pursuing commercial foreclosure and collection actions.
- Manages filing, enforcing and defending mechanic's liens and litigation in Kentucky.
- Mediates complex commercial disputes.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Leadership Northern Kentucky (LNK) Class of 2016
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell®
Memberships & Affiliations
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Covington Business Council
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- NKBA Board of Directors (2017-Present)
- The Womens' Initiative of the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce: Committee member of the inaugural “On the Road” series, sponsored by Frost Brown Todd to enhance growth and development for area professionals. (2015)
- River Cities Relay, Board of Directors (2016-2018)
- St. Agatha Academy, Past Chair and Member of School Board
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-Author and Presenter: Negotiating Real Estate Loan Terms and Workout Options
National Business Institute, 2010
Co-Author and Presenter: Planning and Managing a Chapter 11 Reorganization From Start to Finish in Kentucky
National Business Institute, 2005
Co-Author and Presenter: Picking up the Pieces after a Coal Company Files Bankruptcy
29th Mineral Law Conference, Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 2004
Co-Author and Presenter: “Arbitration and Mediation”
Women in Business/Women in Law, 2001
Author and Presenter: “General Overview of Revisions to Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code”
Women in Business/Women in Law, 2000