Robert V. Sartin
Robert Sartin, the chairman of Frost Brown Todd (FBT), has been one of the prime movers behind the firm’s growth and forward momentum. In 2009, in the wake of the OEM bailouts, Robert demonstrated his leadership when he convened FBT’s Automotive Industry Task Force and later relocated his practice to Nashville where he helped the firm capitalize on the region’s burgeoning auto space. Today, the Automotive Industry Team is among the firm’s most esteemed and accomplished teams; their annual symposium, AutoConnect, draws thought leaders and industry titans from around the globe.
Throughout his decades-long career, Robert has worked in some of the most heavily regulated sectors – from the coal and auto industries, to new ventures in health care and biopharmaceuticals – often acting as lead outside counsel for large national and multinational companies. Robert routinely advises clients on important contractual, transactional, tax and compliance matters, including asset and stock acquisitions, M&A’s, joint venture formation and dissolution, private placements, tax planning, refinancings and corporate restructurings.
Robert also oversees an active practice, fully committed to providing clients with reliable, value-added counsel. As chairman, Robert oversees all 12 of FBT’s offices as well as the firm’s ancillary business ventures. He serves or has served on the Strategic Planning, Finance, Advancement, and Executive Committees.
Representative Client Matters
Previously served as Frost Brown Todd's service team leader for Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. and led Frost Brown Todd's representation of Toyota, with an emphasis in supplier and risk management matters.
Represents other OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers in mergers and acquisitions, supply chain management and various other business matters.
Represents and has represented large coal companies in general corporate matters, including secured debt financings, coal lease issues, corporate restructurings and asset and stock acquisitions. Representative transactions range from $5 million to $860 million financings and/or acquisitions.
Serves as lead outside counsel to international veterinarian equine practice, having represented the company in converting from a corporation to a limited liability company; negotiating member buy-ins and buy-outs; and managing corporate refinancings and other corporate matters.
Served as lead outside counsel to a medical device start-up company, having represented the company in all phases of the start-up, including a multimillion-dollar private placement; interaction with patent counsel; negotiating buy-sell and other operating agreement matters; and negotiating hospital servicing agreements.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2006-2018
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® 2012-2017
- BTI Client Service All Star, 2014
- Nashville Post In-Charge Legal, 2013-2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Big Louisville law firm names new litigation leader
- Louisville's largest law firm has a new chairman
- Driverless cars ahead
- Is Nashville Emerging As The Auto Industry’s Southern Hub?
- AutoConnect 2015 Conference Set For Nashville Kick-off Next Week
- 'All sorts of Implications'
- U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander addresses auto industry leaders
- Nashville touted as new auto industry leader
- A chance among change
- Cluster question
- Nashville Post's 2013 In Charge
- Law firms value more modern design with shared spaces
- Frost Brown Todd One of the First Mid-America Firms to Track Diversity Efforts by Seeking Mansfield 3.0 Certification
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 includes 169 Frost Brown Attorneys
- Frost Brown Todd Nashville Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Mid-South Rising Stars®
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Theresa Canaday Appointed Chair of Frost Brown Todd’s Litigation Department
- Frost Brown Todd Elects Robert V. Sartin as Chairman
- Frost Brown Todd Nashville Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Mid-South Rising Stars®
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Mid-South Rising Stars®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 8 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®; Two Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- Frost Brown Todd’s AutoConnect Raises the Standard for Auto Industry Dialogue and Networking
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Frost Brown Todd’s Robert Sartin Named 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star
- Six Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- Frost Brown Todd brings together auto industry heavy hitters to exchange ideas
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- Robert V. Sartin Named to Frost Brown Todd Executive Committee
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- Robert V. Sartin Joins Nashville Office
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- The Lexington Polo Club, President, 2008; Treasurer, 2007
- Leadership Kentucky, Class of 2009
- Bluegrass Tomorrow, 2008-2010
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Author: Developing an Effective Acquisition Strategy for a Distressed Business Requires Knowing and Understanding the "Why"
Co-Author: "Bankruptcy Issues for the Real Estate Practitioner", Kentucky Real Estate Law & Practice, Fourth Edition, Vol. II
Inside the Minds: Buying and Selling Distressed Businesses, Aspatore, 2012 Edition.
Speaker: Current and Emerging Issues in Small Business and Individual Reorganizations
73rd Judicial Conference of the Sixth Circuit
Detroit, MI, 5/13/2015
Speaker: Buy-Sell Creditor Protection Planning and Other Legal Topics
Hosted by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
Veterinary Management Group Conference
Oklahoma City, OK, 1/21/2011
Portland, ME, 8/17/2007
Author: A Practical Approach to Financial Restructuring and Commercial Bankruptcies in the Automotive, Coal, and Equine Sectors
Inside the Minds: Buying and Selling Distressed Businesses, Aspatore, 2010 Edition.
Speaker: Preference Strategies and Other Insolvency Issues for Creditors
30th Mineral Law Conference
Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 2005
Co-Author and Presenter: Prevent Costly Mistakes Through the Correct Entity Choice in Kentucky
National Business Institute, 2005