Sara L. Abner
Sara joined the firm in 2000, concentrating her practice in bankruptcy law and financial restructuring, with special emphasis in creditor rights, preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance law, reclamation rights and deepening insolvency; commercial transactions; utility law; banking law; and electronic stored-value card law. She has represented secured and unsecured creditors in large and complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, and has developed a national bankruptcy practice. She has also handled large preference and fraudulent conveyance actions in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States, defending creditors in many of today's largest Chapter 11 cases; including, the Chrysler, Enron, Tower Automotive, Federal Mogul, Collins and Aikman, Delphi, Dana, Calpine, Smurfit Stone, Lyondell Chemical Company, Circuit City, Flying J, Nortel, RadioShack, Toys R Us, hhGregg, Macaroni Grill, Westinghouse, Sports Authority, Eastern Airlines, American Airlines, Ryan International Airlines and Aloha Airlines bankruptcy cases. Sara has also served as a mediator in preference claim actions.
Sara has represented utility companies, logistics and transportation companies, chemical companies, health care clients, manufacturers, suppliers, banks, and electronic gift card issuers.
Sara graduated from the University of Louisville's Brandeis School of Law in 1990, where she was valedictorian of her class. In law school, she was the recipient of numerous academic awards, including the Samuel L. Greenebaum Writing Award, and was elected to the Brandeis Society. Sara was also the 1985 and 1986 recipient of the Jean & Eleanor O'Sullivan Award, awarded by the University of Louisville Political Science Department. Prior to joining the Firm, she served for seven years as the staff attorney to the Honorable Judge J. Wendell Roberts, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of Kentucky.
Sara leads the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's Mentorship program for all of Frost Brown Todd's offices in participating cities, and assists with the firm's internship program for Central High School's Law Magnet program. Sara is also heavily involved in the firm's training and development of new associates. Sara is a recipient of the Frost Brown Todd Diversity and Inclusion Award (2014), and a two-time recipient of the Frost Brown Todd Mentor of the Year Award (2004 and 2008). She is also a past member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee and the past editor-in-chief of the Financial Restructuring Group Newsletter.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Frost Brown Todd Diversity and Inclusion Award, 2014
- Frost Brown Todd Mentor of the Year Award, 2004 and 2008
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association, 1990
- American Bankruptcy Institute Member
- Brandeis Society, Member
- Woodcock Society, Member
- Pre-Law Mentorship Program, Member
- ALP: One of the companies we regularly supply goods to filed for bankruptcy and now they have sued us—demanding that we return payments they made to us during the three months before they filed! Can they really do that?
- ALP: I own a company which supplies goods to other companies. One of the companies we regularly supply goods to filed for bankruptcy about a year ago
- Which Debtors Qualify for Application of the Kentucky Exemption Laws and Can They Now Elect Federal Exemptions?
- Financial Restructuring Group News
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Louisville City Lead
- CentreStage Theatre Board, Member
- Play Selection, Sub-Committee of Board, Member
- Producer's Club, Member
- St. Francis School Diversity Task Force, Member
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Client Bankruptcy Training: Frequent presenter of Bankruptcy 101
Co-Author: The Toolbox for Managing Your Financially Troubled Customer, Sara L. Abner and Olivia K. Snider; Kentucky Trucker, Official Publication of Kentucky Trucking Association, July 2018
Speaker: Women Trailblazers in the Legal Profession, The Speed Museum Cinema, Presentation in connection with RBG Film, Louisville, Kentucky, June 2018
Co-presenter: Preferences in Bankruptcy
Charles R. Keeton and Sara L. Abner, seminar outline and client advisory.
Editor-in-Chief: Financial Restructuring Group Newsletter, October 2001-present.