Edward M. King
Ted is a member of the Firm, and serves as Chairman of the Firm's Finance Committee. He practices in the Indianapolis, Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky offices and participates in both the Firm’s bankruptcy and restructuring and commercial transactions practice groups. He was honored to be named the Top Business Bankruptcy Lawyer in Louisville in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for his outstanding reputation and distinguished work. He was also selected as one of the top Ten Lawyers in Kentucky overall by Kentucky Super Lawyers® in Bankruptcy and has been consistently selected as a Kentucky Super Lawyer® in Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, which is an award given only to lawyers in the top five percent of their fields. He is certified as a Business Bankruptcy Specialist by the American Board of Certification and serves on the Board of Directors of that organization.
In bankruptcy matters, he represents debtors, creditors, and committees in insolvency proceedings. He assists clients in complex business bankruptcy matters - developing plans of reorganization and advising on strategies to maximize recoveries for clients at all stages of the bankruptcy process. Some of his recent engagements include co-counsel for the Debtors in the Jillian’s Entertainment Holdings, Inc. bankruptcy case and co-counsel for the Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in the Buehler Foods, Inc., the Critical Access Health Services Corp. and Summitt Logistics Chapter 11 cases. Ted is a frequent speaker at bankruptcy conferences, including recent American Bankruptcy Institute conferences.
In transactional matters he concentrates in all aspects of financing and secured transactions, leasing, structured financings, workouts and reorganizations, and general corporate practice. His experience includes conduit transactions, secured and unsecured financing transactions, acquisition and working capital financings, leveraged buyout transactions, ESOP loans, project and asset based transactions, senior and subordinated debt transactions, private placements, letter of credit transactions, loan participations, subordination and intercreditor agreements, credit enhancements, rate swaps and other hedging devices, construction and permanent real estate financing. Ted has extensive experience and expertise in Uniform Commercial Code matters as well written counsel opinions for loan transactions.
He manages the Firm's New Markets Tax Credit Business and helps lead the Firm's New Markets Tax Credit Practice. This includes work for community development entities, tax audit interests, leverage lenders and borrowers (QALICBs) in New Markets transactions.
Ted is active in the Community. He serves on the Boards of the Friends of the Louisville Zoo, the Kentucky Bar Foundation and is a past member of the Boards of the Jewish Community Center and the Downtown Louisville YMCA.
Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd LLC, Ted clerked for William C. Lee, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Indiana. In law school, he was a Senior Notes Editor for the Federal Communications Law Journal and a research assistant for Professor William J. Hicks, revising the multi-volume treatise Exempt Transactions Under the Securities Act of 1933.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Bankruptcy, 2009-2016; "Top 50 in Kentucky," 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2007-2018; Louisville Litigation - Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year," 2015, 2018
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for inclusion into Top 50 Lawyers overall in Kentucky by Super Lawyers® 2012
Memberships & Affiliations
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Frost Brown Todd Selected to Represent Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Chapter 11 Case of Freedom Industries, Inc.
- 52 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 21 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2014
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 42 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2012
- 40 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in Louisville Magazine
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2011
- 145 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2011 Edition
- 32 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® for 2010
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Receive Recognition in 2010 Super Lawyers® Corporate Counsel Edition
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Friends of the Louisville Zoo, Board of Directors, 2002-present
- Jewish Community Center, Board of Directors, 2001-2007
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Board of Governors, 2007-present
- Leadership Louisville, Class of 2010
- American Board of Certification, Board of Directors, 2008-present