Thomas F. Bedsole
Tom is a member of Frost Brown Todd, devoting his practice to business, construction and real estate matters. He has significant experience advising and counseling local and national residential home builders on these issues.
Tom routinely handles complex real estate litigation matters and has served as lead trial counsel in numerous jury and bench trials. His trial experience includes adverse possession, affordable housing tax credit, lis pendens contract enforcement and significant commercial foreclosures. In addition, Tom served as lead trial and appellate counsel successfully arguing his client’s position in a case of first impression nationwide regarding the implementation of a Planned Unit Development ordinance.
Tom is on the Board of Directors of the Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis (BAGI), chairs BAGI’s Governmental Affairs Committee and is a member of BAGI’s Economic Development Committee. He is the firm’s liaison to the Indiana State Builders Association and serves on its Board of Directors and its Educational Scholarship Foundation Board. In addition, he is the firm’s liaison to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and is a member of the NAHB’s Legal Action Committee and its Legal Action Network for Development Strategies.
He also sits on the Board of Directors of the Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce.
Tom is a member of the American and Indianapolis Bar Associations. He is a member of the American Bar Association Committee on Corporate Counsel.
Tom is an honors graduate of The Ohio State University College of Law where he was editor-in-chief of the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, won the Judge Joseph Harter Memorial Award as outstanding trial advocate in the class of 1991 and was honored with the American Jurisprudence Awards for outstanding trial and appellate advocacy. He received his undergraduate degree from Indiana University with an accounting major and an outside concentration in physics.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Tom worked as an auditor for Coopers & Lybrand in Richmond, Virginia. Tom attained the designation of Certified Public Accountant from the State of Virginia in 1988.
Highlights & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2013–2017
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2015-2016, 2018
Memberships & Affiliations
- Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis, Parliamentarian; Treasurer, 2005-2008; Government Affairs Committee Chair, 2002-2005, 2009-present; Associate of the Year, 2005; Mold Task Force Chair
- Indiana Builders Association, Board of Directors; Indiana Builders Association Educational Scholarship Foundation Board; Mechanic’s Lien Task Force, Vice Chair
- National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), Board of Directors; Indiana Representative - Construction Law Attorney Forum; Legal Action Committee; Legal Action Network for Development Strategies; NAHB University of Housing: Approved Instructor
- Urban Land Institute
- Indiana Real Estate Commission: Licensed Instructor
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Committee on Corporate Counsel, Indiana Membership Chair
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Editions of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 23 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Indiana Super Lawyers®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Indy Partnership, Board of Directors Executive Committee, 2003-2007
- City of Indianapolis Equal Opportunity Advisory Board, 2001-2006
- Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce, Member, Board of Directors; Co-Chair, Business Growth Institute; Member, Fiscal Policy Council
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Indiana Builders Association, 2007, 2008
“Management of Complex Construction Defects Litigation”
Panelist, AEI-Brookings Joint Center for Regulatory Studies Judicial Symposium on Critical Issues in Construction Defect Litigation, 2007
“Construction Contracts and Law”
NAHB University of Housing, 2006
“Executive Branch Lobbying”
Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association, 2006
“Defending the Premises Liability Case” The Practical Litigator
“The Attorney-Client Privilege Revisited,” Defense Research Institute