Frost Brown Todd is one of the only law firms in our seven-state region with unmatched experience representing a wide variety of clients in the entertainment industry. The Frost Brown Todd Entertainment Law Group is a full-service, diverse, multi-faceted practice providing many clients in the entertainment industry with extensive litigation, transactional and general counseling service experience as well as important access to a wide variety of executives and other decision-makers in the entertainment industry. Our clients include major and independent record labels; award-winning and developing recording artists; record producers; songwriters; music managers; entertainment industry executives; athletes; owners; trainers; fashion models and agencies; national, regional and local television and cable networks and affiliates; independent television and film producers; concert and event promoters; digital and multi-media companies; publishers; national retail chains; and corporate and product brands.
Frost Brown Todd entertainment attorneys are dedicated, well-connected practitioners. With a strong mix of dedication, skill and high-profile industry relationships we are able to provide our clients with attorneys who have a true understanding of the industry that is unrivaled in our region. With unparalleled advertising law, intellectual property law, multimedia and e-commerce and internet service practice areas, Frost Brown Todd has the breadth of knowledge and experience to serve as counselors and advocates for the entertainment industry.
Frost Brown Todd’s entertainment practice is led by AJ Correale, a nationally and internationally recognized entertainment lawyer, who has worked in the music industry for nearly 30 years. His previous experience includes serving as a Vice President of Legal and Business Affairs at EMI Music and as a Director of Business Affairs at Sony Music. Our entertainment attorneys have represented clients in the drafting and negotiation of thousands of music industry transactions and counseled numerous clients in the music industry on a wide variety of topics including litigation avoidance and risk management strategies, financing recordings, talent procurement, rights acquisitions, marketing and distribution strategies (including DIY strategies), copyright and trademark strategies, merchandising, touring and concert agreements, publishing, branding and celebrity endorsements. In addition, Frost Brown Todd entertainment lawyers have litigated and defended countless actions and cases for leading entertainment industry individuals and companies.
Advertising and Promotions
Clients turn to Frost Brown Todd for the full range of advertising and promotions counsel. Our experience includes the day-to-day review of advertising and promotional campaigns from the conceptual stage through production, publication and distribution. Our lawyers act as members of many creative teams, helping clients keep their advertising and marketing on the cutting edge but within legal boundaries. We identify areas of concern to assist our clients in evaluating the level of risk they are comfortable taking on for any particular campaign. Our lawyers succeed by not only giving practical advice but also solutions to problems our clients face in the business realities and competitive environment of the entertainment industry.
Frost Brown Todd represents television and multimedia clients in the full spectrum of legal services. We represent clients in areas such as pre-publication and pre-broadcast review and counseling; responses to requests for retraction or correction; responses to subpoenas including motions to quash litigation of suits (e.g. defamation, invasion of privacy, Lanham Act) including conducting and defending discovery and trying jury and non-jury cases, and briefing and arguing appeals, access, sunshine laws, freedom of information and related First Amendment issues. We provide representation of national cable networks, television and film actors, writers, directors, managers and production companies on agreements, financing and acquisitions and advertising law.
Frost Brown Todd was named one of eight “standout” law firms in the nation for IP litigation in the Litigation Outlook 2011 report published by Law360 and conducted by The BTI Consulting Group and was named one of the Top Ten Patent Litigation Firms in the USA by Intellectual Property Magazine. Our Intellectual Property team was recognized in Chambers USA Business Lawyers Guide as one of the top IP practices in the region. The IP group regularly represents licensors and licensees in negotiating agreements for commercialization of intellectual property in the entertainment industry. We can help a client profit from the equity held in its brands and intellectual property and help build the value of its products, services and people by negotiating uses of intellectual property assets.
Frost Brown Todd has a long record of success in courtrooms around the country and features many nationally-recognized litigators. We are adept at fashioning solutions to problems without incurring the risks and costs associated with courtroom trials. Frost Brown Todd handles a variety of litigation for the entertainment industry including right of publicity, trademark, copyright, defamation, invasion of privacy and contract disputes. Likewise, we defend and prosecute complex litigation involving RICO violations, securities violations, fraud, trade secrets, covenants not to compete, dealer terminations, antitrust matters, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties.
In the News
- Federal law regulates advertising
- Announcing the 2017 Best of the Bar lifetime achievement honoree
- “It takes [at least] two” – Joint works under U.S. copyright law
- Frost Brown Todd grows in Nashville
- As drone sales soar, legal and regulatory atmosphere remains turbulent
- Whistleblowing in the US: a case of schizophrenia?
- Responding to Negative Online Reviews
- Minor Leagues Turn to Inside Baseball To Ward Off Player Wage, Hour Dispute
- Diversity is winner as the ABA begins selecting next class of leaders
- Frost Brown Todd Adds Two Attorneys in Dallas
- Frost Brown Todd Grows in Nashville
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- Frost Brown Todd member Kelly L. Frey co-authors new authoritative book on corporate malfeasance
- 8 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named to Mid-South Super Lawyers®; Two Attorneys Named to Rising Stars®
- Nationwide Release of 'The Identical'
- Kelly Frey Joins Frost Brown Todd’s Expanding Nashville Team
- 15 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as 2011 “Lawyers of the Year”
- We Need To Modify The USEF Equine Drugs and Medications Rules
- Beware Horse Owners, Breeders and Trainers! IRS Issues Advice on Reporting Requirements for Payments to Veterinarians Made by Taxpayers in the Course of Their Trade or Business
- American Taxpayer Relief Act Averts the Fiscal Cliff, Extends Significant Benefits to Horse Businesses