The business of advertising remains fast-paced, wide-open and controversial. It is an industry that, by its very nature, must constantly evolve and adapt to technological advancements and cultural changes. Advertisers often walk a fine line between what is timely and effective for their products or services and what crosses the line in the context of conflicting federal, state and local rules. Businesses that advertise require legal counsel with vast experience in the industry – lawyers who can scrutinize and anticipate advertising issues and respond quickly and thoroughly.
Clients turn to Frost Brown Todd for the day-to-day review of advertising and promotional campaigns from the conceptual stage through production, publication and distribution. Our lawyers are adept and knowledgeable with a vast amount of experience counseling clients in a wide variety of industries and litigating cases spanning jurisdictions and issues.
Our lawyers act as members of many creative teams, helping clients keep their advertising and marketing within legal boundaries. We identify for clients in a timely manner areas of concern to assist them in evaluating the level of risk they are comfortable taking on for any particular campaign. Our lawyers succeed by not only giving practical advice but solutions to problems that are grounded in the business realities and competitive environment faced by our clients.
We also counsel clients on the risks inherent in their relationships with third party vendors, Internet and on-line developers and service providers, production companies, media, talent, performers’ unions, insurers and employees as well as matters governing the relationship between advertising agencies and advertisers.
Our lawyers are experienced in handling all facets relating to advertising, marketing and media including:
- Reviewing advertising copy/script across all mediums (e.g., TV, Internet, radio, print, social media)
- Reviewing advertising and promotions for national network clearance rules and requirements
- Analyzing claim substantiation under federal and state laws and regulations
- Assessing and structuring surveys, scientific studies and other data for comparative, superiority and other advertising/product claims
- Reviewing and counseling on environmental and other “green” claims
- Reviewing product packaging and labeling under relevant federal and state laws and regulations (e.g., FDA, FTC Guidelines, etc.)
- Counseling on federal, state and local laws regarding sweepstakes and contests including drafting and reviewing rules, registration, and bonding requirements
- Reviewing and counseling on promotional techniques using interactive media, including crowdsourcing, consumer generated content and viral marketing
- Reviewing and counseling on use of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) for advertising and promotional purposes as well as counsel on the creation of social media policies for employees and marketing
- Advising on best practices related to behavioral advertising and related information privacy matters and assist with compliance with federal laws and industry standards
- Reviewing and counseling on use of endorsements, testimonials and word-of-mouth marketing in promotional campaigns
- Advising on appropriate uses of third-party trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property in advertising
- Searching product names, logos, taglines and slogans for trademark purposes
- Registering trademark rights
- Reviewing and counseling on compliance with telephone, email and Internet related laws and regulations (e.g., TCPA, CAN-SPAM, DMCA, CDA, etc.)
- Negotiating and advising on advertising representation agreements
- Litigating advertising/product claims in federal and state court and before federal and state agencies (FTC, FDA, Attorneys General, etc.) for false advertising, Lanham Act and related actions
- Challenging and defending claims before non-governmental entities including local BBB units, the National Advertising Division and Children’s Advertising Review Unit
- Sunny Delight Beverages Co.
- Perfetti van Melle USA
- ACH Food Companies, Inc.
- Luxottica Group
- The ServiceMaster Company
- United Feature Syndicate
- Scripps Networks Interactive
- Northlich LLC
- Empower Media Marketing
- Cincinnati Bell Inc.
- Healthy Advice Networks
- Valmont Industries, Inc.
- Gutter Covers International, Inc.
In the News
- Federal law regulates advertising
- Judge puts Ray Tensing's retrial on hold over media access
- Judge orders jurors' questionnaires in Ray Tensing murder case redacted and released to media
- Bevin names Hedges to lead Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission
- 2016 Law and Media Conference draws lawyers, judges, journalists and academics
- “It takes [at least] two” – Joint works under U.S. copyright law
- Frost Brown Todd grows in Nashville
- As drone sales soar, legal and regulatory atmosphere remains turbulent
- Cincinnati firms deliver as ArtsWave campaign hits new record
- Responding to Negative Online Reviews
- Diversity is winner as the ABA begins selecting next class of leaders
- Meet 3 powerful Cincinnati women who are saying no to the status quo
- Law & Media Conference draws Ohio Lawyers, Judges, Journalists, Academics
- 34 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2018
- 29 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers and 17 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars for 2017
- WDRB Selects Frost Brown Todd as Legal Counsel
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Grows in Nashville
- Thomas P. O’Brien III Named Chairman of Bellarmine University Board of Overseers
- 26 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Indiana Super Lawyers® and Four Recognized in Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015
- 37 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® for 2015
- 15 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized as 2011 “Lawyers of the Year”
- Frost Brown Todd's Louisville Litigation Practice Recognized as "Highly Recommended Local Litigation Firm"
- Jill P. Meyer Elected to Board of Trustees for the Cincinnati Arts Association
- Let Me Introduce You to Three Robot Lawyers
- December 30: Updated Status of Sunrise Periods
- China stakes its claim on regulating Internet Advertising - Draft rules issued
- #DisclosureFail – Pinterest and the Endorsement Guides (Part 2 of 2)
- Check your Labels: Supreme Court Clears Way for Lanham Act Challenges
- #DisclosureFail – Pinterest and the Endorsement Guides (Part 1 of 2)
- MARCH 10: Updated Status of Sunrise Periods and Trademark Claims Notification Periods
- Wake Up and Smell the Sunrise: The New TLD Era Has Arrived
- Facebook Updates Terms for Promotional Pages
- This App Is Your App—Facebook's Revised Promotions Guidelines
- For Marketers, Good Words Can Be Bad Words
- Documenting Your Intent to Use
- Anti-SPAM Plaintiffs Find Little Success in the Courthouse, But They Can Cause Mountains of Attorneys’ Fees
- Radio Stations Expected to Pay to Play Music
- A CAN-SPAM Refresher
- Keyword Advertising - “Use In Commerce”- A Defense Finally Eliminated?
- Media Law Advisory
- FDLI Annual Conference Highlights
- UPDATE: Pagan v. Fruchey: Restriction on “For Sale” Signs Unconstitutional
- American Advertising Federation National Conference Biggest Ever
- Former Knicks Player’s Libel Lawsuit Dismissed
- Court Dismisses False Advertising Claim
- House Bill 9 Amends Ohio Public Records Law
- Media Law Advisory
- Rhode Island Supreme Court Affirms Dismissal of Defamation Claim for The Standard Times
- Single Publication Rule Applies to Right of Publicity Claim
- Major Food Companies Self-Regulate Junk Food Advertising to Children
- U.S. Supreme Court Loosens Campaign Finance Laws