Latin America Desk
Spanning a range of legal disciplines, from mergers and acquisitions and regulatory compliance to intellectual property and high-stakes litigation, our Latin America Desk provides integrated, full-scale support to both Latin American businesses expanding into the U.S. market and U.S. companies looking for viable investments and business partners in Latin America.
Victoria Beckman, a native of Colombia, chairs our Latin America Desk team, which includes attorneys who are fluent in Spanish and possess a deep understanding of the region’s legal systems and political, economic and cultural dynamics. On a routine basis, our team works in close liaison with local counsel firms to facilitate deals and resolve issues seamlessly across borders, whenever and wherever our clients need us. We also have a long history of representing clients in complex, sometimes highly contentious cross-border disputes, transactions, and projects.
Backed by our extensive experience in cross-border business and international dispute resolution, our Latin America Desk is uniquely equipped to help inbound and outbound companies. Whether it’s navigating clients through jurisdiction-specific regulations or negotiating and litigating as needed, we can help you pinpoint, vet, and deliver on new market opportunities.
How We Add Value
- Assist clients with inbound, outbound and – of course – purely domestic mergers and acquisitions.
- Advise foreign investors on greenfield and other direct investments, joint venture formations, contract manufacturing, and other strategic alliances.
- Help businesses market and sell their products, services and inventions through global distribution, agent, franchise, direct sale, and licensing agreements.
- Work with clients to develop, protect, and profit from their international patents, trademarks, and other intellectual property.
- Counsel on international trade compliance, navigating clients through the increasingly complex import and export requirements governing global commerce.
- Represent clients in U.S. and foreign litigation, arbitration, cross-border discovery, the enforcement of judgments, as well as anti-dumping, customs and other regulatory disputes.
- Assist clients with global personnel matters, including securing visas, work permits, and secondments for employees inside and outside the U.S.
- Negotiated and drafted contracts on behalf of Sony Music Entertainment US Latin LLC for recording artists throughout Latin America.
- Assisted a medical devices manufacturer pursuing patent protection in Brazil and Mexico.
- Represented a U.S.-based client in a lawsuit against a Mexican corporation in the U.S. regarding its failure to comply with contractual obligations arising from the sale of property in Mexico. Obtained a significant settlement for the client.
- Represented a restaurant franchisor and its franchisees in Latin America in trademark proceedings.
- Assisted a client with regulatory requirements for repatriation of remains from the U.S. to South America.
- Assisted a large architectural firm in Cincinnati, Ohio to start operations and hire local personnel in Panama.
- Assisted a client in an unfair competition case in a Colombian court.
- Assisted a Brazilian company with developing locations for a restaurant chain in Ohio and Kentucky.
- Assisted with regulatory and compliance advice to insurance companies offering international travel insurance protection.