Steven M. Crawford
Steve has been handling mass tort, fire and explosion, toxic exposure, premises liability and product liability lawsuits since 1993 in state and federal courts across the United States. His experience includes representing product manufacturers, distributors, service providers, and property owners in incidents and exposures involving industrial facilities, distribution centers, and other commercial and residential properties. Steve is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee.
Steve is an experienced first chair lawyer and regularly coordinates with experts in the fields of industrial processes, electrical, structural, chemical, mechanical engineering, metallurgy and fire cause and origin. His comprehensive understanding of construction products and industrial processes contributes to his legal expertise in handling fire and explosion cases and assists in failure analysis in his construction and product liability practice.
Steve also utilizes the knowledge gained in his 25 years of litigation experience as a basis to provide advice to businesses on product warnings, product testing, fire suppression equipment, and compliance with governmental standards.
Steve currently is or has served as counsel in complex litigation matters including, but not limited to, the following:
- National Coordinating Counsel for distributor of lithium ion batteries and related devices.
- National and regional representation of multiple product manufacturers, suppliers and premises defendants in the asbestos litigation.
- National Fire Litigation Counsel for an agricultural equipment manufacturer.
- Representation of a furnace manufacturer arising from a fatal residential propane gas explosion.
- Representation of a medical product supplier in fire litigation arising from misuse of medical equipment.
- Served as lead counsel for CertainTeed Corporation in litigation arising from an explosion and fire at the CTA Acoustics manufacturing facility in Corbin, Kentucky involving seven deaths and over $100 million in alleged damages.
- Served as counsel to Amgen in litigation involving significant property damage and product loss caused by improper installation of sprinkler equipment.
- Representation of a smoke detector manufacturer in fatal apartment fire litigation.
- Representation of various explosives manufacturers and distributors in personal injury and property damage litigation arising from the misuse of explosives and fertilizers.
- Representation of ICI Explosives USA in a lawsuit filed on behalf of those injured or killed in the terrorist attack by Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma City in 1995.
- National representation of general contractors in North Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky arising out of the use of synthetic stucco as the exterior cladding on commercial and residential structures.
- National representation of a raw material supplier in the Breast Implant Litigation.
- National representation of a distributor of spinal fixation devices in the Orthopedic Bone Screw litigation in state and federal courts.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers® for Personal Injury Defense: Products, 2010-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Construction, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants 2010-2019; Louisville Litigation-Construction "Lawyer of the Year," 2015, 2019
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® since 2003
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Propane Gas Defense Association, Member
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys named to 2019 Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Kentucky Rising Stars® Lists
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2017
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Citizens for Better Judges
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Speaker: Recent Developments in Lithium Battery Litigation and Mitigating Exposure Before and After an Accident, Vapor Trade Association Annual Conference, June 2018
Panelist: Unique Industry Challenges and Opportunities Involving Lithium Batteries, Vapor Trade Association Annual Conference, June 2018
Author: "Liability Claims Based on Choice of Construction Materials," DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2017
Co-author: "Absence of Prior Accidents Evidence - Recent Trends in Admissibility," DRI ACMIE News, December 2013
Co-author: Daller, Tort Law Desk Reference -- A Fifty-State Compendium [Kentucky section] (2003-2018 editions)
Co-author: Two articles concerning the use of explosives which were published in The Journal of Explosives Engineering entitled "Stolen Explosives: The Unexpected Liability" (January/February 1998) and "Learning from Experience: A Survey of Recent Legal Developments in the Blasting Industry" (September/October 1998)
Co-author: Sixth Circuit Adopts Differential Diagnosis Admissibility Standard, Australian Product Liability Reporter, 2009
Author: The Role of Legal Counsel for a Private Litigant Involved in a Chemical Dust Explosion Investigation By the CSB, International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology (2006)