Steven M. Crawford
Steve is the Group Leader for the firm's Fire and Explosion litigation practice and has been handling mass tort, fire and explosion, toxic exposure, premises liability and product liability lawsuits since 1993 in state and federal courts across the United States. His experience includes representing property owners, product manufacturers and service providers in incidents involving industrial facilities, distribution centers, and other commercial and residential properties.
Steve is an experienced first chair lawyer, and regularly coordinates with experts in the fields of industrial processes, electrical, chemical and mechanical engineering, metallurgy and fire cause and origin. His comprehensive understanding of construction products and processes contributes to his legal expertise in handling fire and explosion cases and assists in failure analysis in his construction and product liability practice.
Steve also utilizes the knowledge gained in his 21 years of litigation experience as a basis to provide advice to businesses on proper fire suppression equipment, product warnings, and product testing.
Steve currently is or has served as counsel in complex litigation matters including, but not limited to, the following:
- Serves as National Fire Litigation Counsel for an agricultural equipment manufacturer.
- Representation of a furnace manufacturer arising from a fatal residential propane gas explosion.
- Served as lead counsel for CertainTeed Corporation in litigation arising from an explosion and fire at the CTA Acoustics manufacturing facility in Corbin, Kentucky involving seven deaths and over $100 million in alleged damages.
- Served as counsel to Amgen in litigation involving significant property damage and product loss caused by improper handling of sprinkler systems.
- Representation of a smoke detector manufacturer in a fatal apartment fire litigation.
- Representation of various explosives manufacturers and distributors in personal injury and property damage litigation arising from the misuse of explosives and fertilizers.
- Representation of ICI Explosives USA in a lawsuit filed on behalf of those injured or killed in the terrorist attack by Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma City in 1995.
- Representation of product suppliers and premises defendants in the asbestos litigation in multiple jurisdictions.
- Representation of general contractors in North Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky arising out of the use of synthetic stucco as the exterior cladding on commercial and residential structures.
- National representation of a raw material supplier in the Breast Implant Litigation.
- National representation of a distributor of spinal fixation devices in the Orthopedic Bone Screw litigation in state and federal courts.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers® for Personal Injury Defense: Products, 2010-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Construction, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants; Louisville Litigation-Construction "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® since 2004
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- 43 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- 31 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 14 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2017
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 18 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 50 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2015
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Author: "Liability Claims Based on Choice of Construction Materials," DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2017
Co-author: "Absence of Prior Accidents Evidence - Recent Trends in Admissibility," DRI ACMIE News, December 2013
Co-author: Tort Law Desk Reference -- A Fifty-State Compendium [Kentucky section] (2003-2014 editions)
Co-author: Two articles concerning the use of explosives which were published in The Journal of Explosives Engineering entitled "Stolen Explosives: The Unexpected Liability" (January/February 1998) and "Learning from Experience: A Survey of Recent Legal Developments in the Blasting Industry" (September/October 1998)
Co-author: Sixth Circuit Adopts Differential Diagnosis Admissibility Standard, Australian Product Liability Reporter, 2009
Author: The Role of Legal Counsel for a Private Litigant Involved in a Chemical Dust Explosion Investigation By the CSB, International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology (2006)