Kevin T. Shook
Kevin is a business litigator who counsels clients on a broad range of legal disputes. He has been consistently selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®, has received the AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® and is the current Chair of the Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee. Kevin has experience litigating high profile cases in state court, federal court and before administrative bodies.
Media, advertising and constitutional law: Kevin is one of the top communications lawyers in Ohio. He assists media, advertising agencies, production companies and any business publishing information on a broad range of issues, including First Amendment, federal regulations, defamation, privacy, false advertising, social media, intellectual property, court access and public records matters. Kevin is the former Chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Media Law Committee. He has represented CNN, the Associated Press, ABC, CBS and the New York Times. Kevin has also defended 15 military organizations, representing almost one million members of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.
Commercial litigation: Kevin assists small businesses, emerging entrepreneurs, Fortune 500 companies and real estate developers in complex contract, fraud and real estate disputes. He has vast experience prosecuting and defending businesses in both in state and federal court. He has helped clients obtain and collect money judgments; prosecute and defend temporary restraining orders and injunctions; and obtain dismissal of complex cases, including class actions. He seeks to understand the client’s business and litigation goals early and achieve results efficiently.
Technology and data privacy: Kevin regularly represents technologists, developers and businesses facing technology and data privacy issues, including defense of class actions filed under the TCPA and FCRA. Kevin seeks to bridge the gap between law and technology, including the use of artificial intelligence, the development of self-enforcing smart contracts, utilization of blockchain technology and protection of data privacy.
Financial institutions: Kevin is a trusted legal advisor to both banks and real estate developers on issues related to defaulted commercial loans, creditor rights and troubled real estate investments. Kevin has advised clients through some of the largest commercial receivership matters in Ohio. He has also successfully defended financial institutions in class actions and numerous lender liability cases.
Kevin serves on the Board of Directors for the American Red Cross of Greater Columbus. He has served as the Chair of the Red Cross Service Delivery Committee, Chair of the Red Cross Central-Southeast Ohio Regional Council and Chair of the 2016 and 2017 Red Cross Humanitarian of the Year Committee. Kevin also serves on the Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee and the Chief Justice Moyer Inn of Court.
Baker v. Northwest Hauling, Court of Appeals of Ohio, Sixth District, Wood County. June 30, 2003, WL 21489619 WD-02-050. Successful defense of employer establishing Ohio law regarding an employer’s right to revoke a job offer.
Carradine Chiropractic Center, Inc. v. Posture Pro, Inc. U.S. Southern District, Eastern Division Case No. 15-CV-02378-BYP. Successful defense of class action alleging violations of TCPA claims.
Huntington National Bank v. Gahanna Creekside Investments, LLC, Franklin County Common Pleas Case No. 11-CV-2320. Successful prosecution of $30 million judgment and receiver sale and defense of lender liability claims.
In re: Malik Richmond, Jefferson County, Ohio Court of Common Pleas, Case No. 2012 DL 138. Successfully represented CNN, ABC, CBS, NY Times, AP and Scripps in obtaining access to judicial proceedings in high profile rape case and opposing motion to close proceedings.
In re: T.J.L., Geauga County, Ohio, Court of Common Pleas, Juvenile Division, 12-JD-102. Successfully represented CNN on obtaining access to court records and proceedings in the T.J. Lane Chardon High School murder case.
Jai Guru LLC v. Columbus WTTE Inc., Franklin County Case No. 12-CV-009634. Successful defense of media defamation claims.
Kabban v. Meridell Achievement Center, Warren County Common Pleas Case No. 12-CV-83232. Obtained summary judgment of all claims in defense of defamation case.
Keainns v. Rawlings, Mayor, Jackson County Common Pleas Case No. 07CIV268. Obtained dismissal of all claims in defense of media client in defamation case.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP v. C&K Petroleum Products, Inc., Columbiana County Court of Common Pleas, Case No. 2014-CV-137. Obtained summary judgment in breach of contract case in the amount of $794,215.42.
Obama for America v. Jon Husted, U.S. District Court for the S.D. District of Ohio, E.D., Case No. 2:12-CV-636. Defended fifteen military organizations representing almost one million members of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.
O’Neal v. HSBC Auto Finance, Inc., U.S. Southern District, Eastern Division Case No. 2:15-CV-881. Obtained dismissal of class action lawsuit alleging violations of the Retail Installment Sales Act.
Spingola v. Sinclair Media, II., Inc., Ohio Ct. of Appeals, 10th District, Franklin County. December 28, 2006, 2006 WL 3805680. Successful defense of ABC6 and NBC4 against defamation claims brought by preacher arrested at Pride Parade.
Sprint Solutions, Inc. v. Shoukry, U.S. Southern District of Ohio, Eastern Division, Case No. 2:14-CV-00127. Successful prosecution of unfair competition and civil conspiracy claims.
Sprint Solutions, Inc. v. Wireless Workshop, LLC, U.S. Southern District for Ohio, Western Division, Case No. 1:16-CV-00482-SJD. Successful prosecution of counterfeiting, unfair competition and trademark claims.
The Ohio State University v. Ohio State Tire, U.S. Southern District, E.D. Case No. 2:09-CV-01108-MHW-MRA. Successful prosecution of trademark infringement claims.
Truitt Brothers, Inc. v. Enviro Flow Companies, Ltd., Muskingum County of Common Pleas Case No. CH-2014-0174. Successful prosecution of breach of contract and breach of warranty claims.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Columbus Business First Top Corporate Counsel Awards, Judge
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2018-2019
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2007, 2009-2012
- Featured in Columbus Business First "Spotlight" Article, Fall 2011
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio State Bar Association, Media Law Committee, former Chairman
- Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee, Chairman
- Columbus Bar Association, Common Pleas Committee
- Media Law Resource Center, Employment Libel Committee, Member
- Advertising Federation of Columbus, Member
- Ohio Association of Broadcasters, Member
- Ohio Newspaper Association, Associate Member
Recent Blog Posts
- Let Me Introduce You to Three Robot Lawyers
- Social Media Pitfalls for Financial Services: The Latest Legal Guidance Every Bank Should Follow
- The Social Media Landmines for Financial Services: 10 Legal Issues Every Bank Should Consider
- Ohio Supreme Court Allows for Recovery of Attorneys Fees Upon Mortgage Reinstatement
- AmTrust sells five Columbus branches to WesBanco
- Ohio Amends Law Exempting Property From Attachment
- FHA Lifts Limits on Insurance for Foreclosed Homes
- SEC Proposes To Expand Privacy Regulations
- Exploring Legal Issues Surrounding Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Let Me Introduce You to Three Robot Lawyers
- Self-Enforcing Smart Contracts Will Change Your Life
- The Social Media Pitfalls for Your Business: 10 Legal Issues Every Employer Should Consider
- The Hot News on the Hot News Doctrine
- Anti-SPAM Plaintiffs Find Little Success in the Courthouse, But They Can Cause Mountains of Attorneys’ Fees
- A CAN-SPAM Refresher
- Froot Loops and Cap’n Crunch False Advertising Claims Rejected
- SEC Proposes To Expand Privacy Regulations
- Ohio Supreme Court Narrowly Revives Defamation Lawsuit Filed By Chief of Police
- House Bill 9 Amends Ohio Public Records Law
- Media Law Advisory
- Media Law Advisory
- Frost Brown Todd 2019 Leadership Appointments Include Five Women
- 51 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys named to 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers® and Ohio Rising Stars® Lists
- Frost Brown Todd Celebrates 30 Years in Columbus with Amplified Commitment to Local Charities
- 34 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 20 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2018
- 44 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 15 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2012
- Frost Brown Todd Receives 2011 Pillar Award for Community Service
- Eight New Members Named to Frost Brown Todd
- 41 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers® and 14 Recognized by Ohio Rising Stars® for 2011
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Ohio Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Vice President, Board of Directors
- American Red Cross of Greater Columbus, Board of Directors
- Ohio Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Stratton's Reelection Campaign, Host Committee
Non-FBT Publications and Events
"Pediatric-cancer doctor's child porn case sealed by judge" The Columbus Dispatch
November 4, 2013
"Free* Seminar: How to Stay on the Right Side of the Law When Advertising Your Automobile Dealership"
Dayton AdClub, November 20, 2008
Columbus Business First, February 27, 2009
WSYX TV-6/WTTE FOX 28, April 14, 2009
Ohio State Bar Association Annual Conference CLE Seminar: “Talkin’ ‘Bout My(Space) Generation.” May, 2008. Taught a three-hour seminar regarding the law related to social networking websites.
Ohio State Bar Association Media Law Conference: “Talkin’ ‘Bout My(Space) Generation.” October, 2008. Taught a three hour seminar regarding the law related to social networking websites.
Public Records Presentation
WSYX Channel 6, August 1, 2007
Columbus Business First, February 22, 2008
When an Asterisk Just Won’t Save You: Making Advertising Claims Without Fear: Columbus AdFed Seminar, April 2, 2008.
Quoted in Social Medial and the Law by Lisa Hooker
Columbus C.E.O. June 2010
Push Pull Drag It In: Advertising Your Automobile Dealership Without Fear
FBT @sk the Legal Pro (2009)
Ohio Amends Law Exempting Property From Attachment
FBT Banking Blog (September 3, 2008)
Ohio Supreme Court Allows for Recovery of Attorneys' Fees Upon Mortgage Reinstatement
FBT Banking Blog (April 27, 2009)
Amtrust Sells Columbus Branches to WesBanco
FBT Banking Blog (January 26, 2009)
SEC Proposes to Expand Privacy Regulations
Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyer Committee Newsletter, The Whisper, May 6, 2008 (also published as FBT Client Advisory, April 1, 2008).
Fifth Circuit upholds suspension of student who wrote violent story: Appellate court's extends permissible censorship of student speech based on its broad interpretation of the 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case
Quill & Scroll Magazine, February 2008.
Ohio Supreme Court Narrowly Revives Defamation Lawsuit Filed By Chief of Police
Ohio Newspaper Association Bulletin; Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory March 31, 2008.
FHA Lifts Limits on Insurance For Foreclosed Homes
Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory, June 19, 2008.
House Bill 9 Amends Ohio Public Records Law
Frost Brown Todd Client Advisory, September 18, 2007 (also published as a Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory on August 31, 2007.
Porn on Public School Teacher’s Computer is Public Record
Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory, May 31, 2007.
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Media Libel Law, 2007-08: Ohio Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law, 2007-08: Federal Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Author: MLRC 50 State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law, 2006-07: Federal Sections, published annually by the Media Law Resource Center
Staff Writer: Frost Brown Todd Media Law Advisory, published monthly by Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Author: State Sponsors of Terrorism: The Flatow Mistake
Ohio State Law Journal, 61 Ohio St. L.J. 1301 (2000)