Andrea M. Salimbene
Andrea counsels corporate and public sector clients on the environmental and regulatory implications of their business decisions and evaluates compliance options to meet their goals. She works in the areas of Clean Water Act (CWA) permitting and regulation for industrial dischargers, publicly-owned treatment works, and storm sewer systems, and with construction projects and sites involving wetlands. She works on drinking water issues and public water system licensing and regulation under the Safe Drinking Water Act. She also has experience with hazardous and solid waste regulation, permitting and recycling. In each of these areas, Andrea offers counseling, addresses civil and administrative enforcement matters, and negotiates consent orders and other settlement agreements. She has successfully litigated matters in the areas of wastewater and drinking water enforcement, and hazardous waste permitting.
Chambers USA said about Andrea, “Highly rated younger partner with a burgeoning reputation in environmental law, developing a strong environmental regulatory practice, advising clients in CWA matters, water treatment issues and the regulation of hazardous and solid waste.”
- Work with two major Ohio municipalities under judicial orders to conduct Clean Water Act affordability analysis using U.S. EPA integrated planning framework.
- Wastewater enforcement defense for an international food company with Ohio production facilities.
- Representation of national and state clean water utility trade associations appearing as amici in a case before the Ohio Supreme Court, which determined that an Ohio Revised Code 6119 sewer district has the authority to establish a regional stormwater management program and charge fees for implementation.
- Environmental counsel to an offshore wind company, and the only American female team member selected by the client to present the project to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Representation of an Indiana metals recycling company against challenges to a hazardous waste permit brought by a national competitor.
- Litigation of significant civil environmental cases while serving as an assistant attorney general for the State of Ohio in the Environmental Enforcement Section.
- Objection to the Issuance of Hazardous Waste Permit No. INR000128975, ShoreMet, LLC, 2016 OEA 18.
- In the Matter of the Application of Lake Erie Energy Development Corporation for a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need for Project Icebreaker, a Wind-Powered Electric Generation Facility Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 13-2033-EL-BGN.
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer Dist. v. Bath Twp., 144 Ohio St.3d 387, 2015-Ohio-3705 (amicus on behalf of trade associations).
Highlights & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, 2018, Natural Resources & Environmental Law in Ohio, Up and Coming
- Columbus Forty Under Forty, Columbus Business First, 2013
- Selected to the 2015 Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2014-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Environmental Law, 2013-2019; Columbus Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Waterworks Association
- Ohio Stormwater Association
- Water Management Association of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates for Franklin County, 2016-present, and Environmental Law Committee
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- The Ohio Stormwater Association, Board Member, 2015-present, Legal Liaison and Regulatory Committee Chair.
- Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District, Board of Supervisors; Chair, Treasurer, and member of Government Outreach Committee; served elected term January 2011-December 2014.
Non-FBT Publications and Events
The Final Year: Ohio EPA’s 2018 Initiatives under the Kasich Administration, County Sanitary Engineers Association of Ohio Annual Summer Conference, June 4, 2018.
Stormwater Litigation and Legal Hot Topics, 2018 Ohio Stormwater Conference, May 10, 2018.
Managing Liability by Keeping the Peace in the Utility Corridor, 2018 Ohio Stormwater Conference, May 10, 2018.
Legal Roundtable, 2018 Ohio Stormwater Conference, May 10, 2018.
Regulatory Update, Ohio Stormwater Association Webinar, April 26, 2018.
Beyond Diversity to Inclusion: Integrating, Valuing, Empowering, 33rd Annual OSBA Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, April 13, 2018.
Taking Control of Regulatory Compliance Messaging in the Instant Communication Age, One Water Government Affairs Workshop, March 8, 2018.
Asset Management and Integrated Planning, Stormwater Solutions Conference, Chicago, November 9, 2017.
Ohio Water Law, Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District Educational Program, March 22, 2016.
Permanent Treatment & the Ohio Regulatory Framework, Legionella Summit, Dayton, January 14, 2015.
Clean Water Act Primer, National Association of Clean Water Agencies Legal Affairs Seminar, St. Pete Beach, Florida, November 19, 2014.
Trends in Stormwater Surrogacy, 2014 Ohio Stormwater Conference, June 5, 2014.
Presentation to United States Department of Energy, Washington, D.C., April 8, 2014.
Preparing for a Stormy Day: The Status of Sovereign Immunity in Ohio, 2013 Ohio Stormwater Conference, May 9, 2013
Technical & Legal Issues Landowners Should Be Aware of Related to Water Resources and Oil and Gas Development, The Ohio State University Webinar, October 21, 2012.
EPA’s Integrated Municipal Planning Guidance: Brownfields and Stormwater in Practice, Ohio Brownfields Conference, May 23, 2012.
Technical and Legal Issues Regarding Oil and Gas Development, Ohio Federation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Annual Meeting, February 27, 2012.
Biomass Energy: How Renewable is Renewable Energy?, 26th Annual OSBA Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, April 8, 2011.
Author of “What’s Trendy for Fall? Wrap Yourself in A Corporate Veil” published in the Fall 2010 Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Quarterly Review.