Daniel P. Craig
Daniel is a litigator whose practice primarily focuses on serving the needs of clients in the energy industry. He has represented numerous oil and gas exploration and production companies in contract and lease disputes, local and state permitting and other regulatory matters, and various landowner-related complaints. He has successfully prosecuted quiet-title actions and claims under the Pennsylvania Dormant Oil and Gas Act and has extensive experience applying the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act to real estate ownership disputes. Daniel has successfully defended permits issued pursuant to zoning ordinances challenged pursuant to the Pennsylvania Environmental Rights Amendment and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s related Robinson Township decision.
Prior to joining Frost Brown Todd, Daniel served as an associate with a Texas-based, oil and gas-focused law firm. Daniel graduated cum laude from the Duquesne University Law School, where he served as Editor-In-Chief of Juris Magazine. He is a member of both the Pennsylvania and Ohio State Bar Associations.
- Successfully defended an oil and gas company’s zoning permit in challenges brought by environmental groups and landowners before a local zoning hearing board and state trial court.
- Represented an oil and gas production company in their claim for compulsory pooling and unitization and in a related lawsuit filed with the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
- Successfully quieted title to the oil and gas underlying a large parcel of land on behalf of an oil and gas company’s lessor.
- Created trusts under the Pennsylvania Dormant Oil and Gas Act in favor of unknown and/or unlocatable landowners for multiple oil and gas exploration and production companies.
- Advised clients regarding title issues and drafted oil and gas drilling title opinions.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
Recent Blog Posts
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-author, "Recent Decisions in Oil and Gas Jurisprudence," Energy & Mineral Law Institute, Volume 36, March, 2016.
Jurisdictional Considerations for the Oil and Gas Practitioner, Energy & Mineral law institute, 2013.
Compulsory Pooling and Unitization in the Marcellus Shale: Pennsylvania’s Challenges and Opportunities, Pennsylvania Bar Association Quarterly, April 2012.