Dean R. Brackenridge
Dean, a member of Frost Brown Todd LLC, focuses his practice on insurance coverage, consumer law, construction, environmental, and business matters.
Dean has represented insurance companies in numerous coverage disputes. His representation of insurance company clients has included defense of bad faith claims arising from, among other issues, claims handling practices and alleged conflicts of interest. Dean also has provided insurance coverage representation concerning coverage regarding class action litigation.
Dean's construction law practice has included representation of architects, engineers, contractors, owners and surveyors. Dean’s practice also has included defense of businesses and individuals against claims by consumers, including claims under the FDCPA, the FCRA, the TCPA and various state statutes.
Dean routinely defends businesses in state and federal court litigation in both individual and class action cases. Dean has represented clients in more than 30 class action case.
Dean served as the President of the Board of Directors of the St. Mary's Child Center, a Catholic United Way member agency, which provides education for more than 200 children, ages 3-5, who are at learning and life risk. Dean currently serves as Chair of St. Mary’s Fund Development Committee.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Indiana State Bar Association, Construction and Surety Law Section, Chair (2014-present); Chair-Elect (2012-2014); Vice-Chair (2010-2012); Secretary (2008-2010); Treasurer (2006-2008)
- American Bar Association
Recent Blog Posts
- New FCC Database Aims to Reduce Potential Liability of Businesses under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Common Mistakes of Indiana’s Mechanic’s Lien Claimants (And How To Avoid Them)
- General Contractors May Have Coverage For Costs Arising Out Of Subcontractors' Defective Work
- Are Construction Bid Errors Up in a Down Economy?
- A "Stark" Reality for Indiana Contractors Who Do Not Strictly Comply with Contractual Claim Notice Provisions
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- St. Mary's Child Center (www.stmaryschildcenter.org), President, Board of Directors (2011–2013), Vice-President (2010–2011), Secretary (2009–2010), Executive Council Member (2009-present), Finance Committee Member (2009-present), Chair, Fund Development Committee (11/2018 to present) and Co-chair, Spring Soiree fundraising event (2016), for this United Way member agency that provides high quality education at five locations for at-risk three- to five-year-old children in poverty. The 2016 Spring Soiree, which I co-chaired, raised more than $350,000, exceeding by $125,000 the amount raised by the organization’s previous best event.
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Compliance, author and presenter, July 2017.
Best Practices in Construction Arbitration, panel moderator, March 2016.
Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium, contributing author, Advertisement Offenses – Causation Requirement, Chapter 15, Defense Research Institute (DRI), Spring 2014.
DRI Fidelity and Surety Roundtable, Program Chair, Chicago, Illinois, May 2012
Covered Events, DRI publication, contributing author, 2010-11
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Compliance, author and presenter, July 2010
An Environment of Care: Environmental Compliance and Practices in the Healthcare Industry, Indiana Health Law Symposium, February 2010
ABA Construction and Design Law, contributing author, Chapter 15, Indiana Construction and Design Law (2nd Ed. 2009)
New Developments in Indiana Law Affecting Builders and Developers, 2008 Indiana Issues Conference, Indiana Builders Association
Selective Enforcement of Insurance Policies Concerning Damages Arising from a Contractor's Faulty Work, The Hoosier Contractor (Summer 2008)
Does Your Business Have an E-Discovery Plan?, 2007
Contractors Put on Notice That Courts May Strictly Enforce Contract Notice Provisions, Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2007, Issue I)
State-by-State Guide to Construction Contracts and Claims, contributing author, Chapter 16, Indiana (1st Ed. 2006 & Cumulative Supp. 2011)
Subcontractor Didn't Say 'Simon Says Make the Improvements': The Active Owner Consent Prerequisite to Lien Rights of Contractors Hired by Lessees,Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2006, Issue II)
Complying with Indiana Executive Branch Lobbying Requirements, 2006
Design-Build Power Panel, panelist, Indiana Construction Management Summit, Associated Builders and Contractors of Indiana, 2005
Avoiding the Seven Deadly Sins of Mechanic's Lien Claimants, Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue III)
'Siding' Against the Contractor: Indiana Supreme Court Recognizes Homeowners' Interior Damage Claim Against Façade Installer, Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue II)
Preserving Your Delay Claim -- Just in Case the Project Runs Long, Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2005, Issue I)
A New Headache for Owners (And Generals): A Subcontractor's Personal Liability Notice Might Arrive Before He Does, Construction and Real Estate Law Update (2003, Issue II)
Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, contributing author, Indiana Chapter, Vol. 3 (2nd Ed. 2000)
Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium,contributing author, Advertisement Offenses - Causation Requirement, Chapter 15, Defense Research Institute (DRI), Fall 2013