J. Gray Sasser
As co-chair of Frost Brown Todd's Blockchain and Digital Currency team, Gray regularly advises clients on the regulatory and business issues arising when cryptographic computing intersects with U.S. securities laws. In addition to serving as U.S. counsel for recent initial coin offerings launched from foreign jurisdictions, he has established several new hedge funds specializing in tokenized assets.
Prior to joining the firm, Gray served as Senior Vice President for Congressional Affairs of the Export-Import Bank of the United States. He has worked with foreign companies growing the regional economy through direct investment in the U.S., while assisting American enterprises with expanding their global footprint. An active member of the firm's International Services Group, he regularly provides strategic advice on navigating federal export and trade issues and serves on the Tennessee District Export Council.
A regular commentator and frequent speaker on regulatory developments affecting the sale of tokenized assets, Gray is an adjunct professor at Belmont University teaching classes on Chinese political economy. He previously served as chairman of the Tennessee Democratic Party and has practiced law in Nashville, Houston and Beijing with Miller & Martin PLLC and Vinson & Elkins LLP.
Provides strategic and legal advice to regional and national companies entering or expanding operations in the People's Republic of China, including development of effective governmental affairs strategy, entity-selection and site-location, as well as evaluation of potential PRC partners.
Advising prominent national business organization advocating for United States trade and diplomatic engagement.
Advised Maryland medical equipment company in connection with obtaining federal government support for exports to Africa.
Assisting Tennessee-based high-tech equipment manufacturer in connection with federal export licensing issues.
Delivered presentation on doing business in China to Nashville bar organization.
Represented Kentucky and Tennessee telephone cooperatives in amendment of applicable Tennessee statues and related series of merger transactions. Assisted major metropolitan hospital in obtaining Tennessee Attorney General's consent to non-profit merger.
Primary responsibility for drafting and negotiating detailed transitional services agreements, coordinating two overseas signing ceremonies and supervising the work of European attorneys in connection with multi-jurisdictional sale of petrochemical assets for a leading international oil company.
Represented regional company specializing in counseling and treatment of troubled teens in sale of substantially all of its assets to a publicly-traded Texas health care company.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Martha O'Bryan Center, Board Member
- Tennessee Historical Commission, Commissioner 2005-2010
(appointed by Gov. Phil Bredesen)
Recent Blog Posts
- Blockchain Policy Update: LabCFTC Releases “A CFTC Primer on Virtual Currencies”
- Asian Regulatory Actions on ICOs: Optimism Remains Despite New Regulations
- Launching an ICO? Follow This Advice from the SEC
- SEC Addresses ICO Bubble, But Leaves Key Questions Unanswered
- Initial Coin Offering Risk Factors: More Than Just Legalese
- The Medieval Economics of Cryptocurrency
- ICOs: Cloud-Based But Likely Grounded in Regulations
- Precis of potentials and pitfalls
- Beyond the China Headlines
- State of Tennessee Opening for Business in China
- Beacon Center poll says State incentive wasteful, while Entertainment, Blockchain, other industries mobilize for Capitol Hill action
- National law firm Frost Brown Todd accepting bitcoin for payment
- Nashville-linked RecordGram to launch $300MM TUNE token sale
- Lawyers Can Accept Bitcoin—But Must Exchange ASAP, Nebraska Says
- More Law Firms Are Accepting Bitcoin Payments
- Is this the next financial scandal waiting to happen?
- Law Firm Now Accepting Bitcoins
- Venture Notes - 15 August 2017
- ICO's and the Fed's two minute warning
- With Nashville tech players aboard, Po.et Foundation reports $10MM funding
- Launching an ICO? Follow This Advice from the SEC
- Advisors: FBT attorney Josh Rosenblatt deep-dives Blockchain
- NBJ announces the 2016 Best of the Bar winners
- Letters from America: Export financing as a key component of U.S. trade strategy with China
- Embassy Attack Brings Back 13-Year-Old Memories
- Eyeing China’s changes
- Former TNDP chair joins law firm
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Panelist, "The Legal Challenges of Token Offerings," Distributed: Health 2017, September 25, 2017
"Growing Global Purchasing Power and the Increasing Global Middle Class: What Does it Mean for Local and National Reorganizations?" Turnaround Management Association, April 18, 2013
"Jim Sasser Headlines International Business Symposium," College of Business Administration, Belmont University. March 30, 2012.
"Obama Export Push Bodes Well for Tennessee Businesses," The Tennessean. January 31, 2011.
"Fuel for the Next Century," China Business Review, Vol. 25, No.4, July-August 1998.
"Reform in China," Infrastructure Finance, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1996.