John S. Wagster
John is a member of Frost Brown Todd’s Technology and International Services groups and is the chair of the China Desk. He focuses on technology and international transactions, as well as commercial agreements to help U.S. technology companies expand their presence overseas. John also helps foreign and domestic companies establish and grow their business in the U.S. He extensive experience with software development, licensing, SaaS, ecommerce, information security and technology services contracts.
As general counsel for a Silicon Valley-based software development firm, Freeborders, Inc. (now Symbio) and as a member of Frost Brown Todd, John has drafted and negotiated hundreds of software licensing, hosting, SaaS and maintenance agreements with many of the nation’s largest brands, including Dupont, The Gap, Levis, Saks 5th Avenue, LL Bean and others. John has negotiated software outsourcing agreements with ecommerce giants (Expedia, TicketMaster/Live Nation, Lending Tree, Overstock.com), U.S. and foreign banks (Citigroup, US Bank, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, BNP, HSBC), and numerous U.S. and European technology companies of all sizes. As a member of FBT’s electronic payments team, he works closely with buyers and sellers in the fast-growing payment processing industry.
- Represents scores of ICOs and issuers of digital tokens through all aspects of the token generation process from entity set up, pre-sales, crowd sale, state and federal regulatory compliance, bank secrecy act (AML/KYC) compliance, intellectual property management and vendor relationships.
- Represented a retail restaurant chain handling all legal aspects of a nationwide payment card data breach, including establishment and coordination of an incident response plan, management of IT vendors, negotiations with franchisees, vendors, payment processors, banks and card brands, compliance with state and federal notification requirements, and coordination with law enforcement.
- Represents automotive OEMs and suppliers with research and development contracts related to connected car technologies and autonomous vehicles.
- Represented European and Chinese domiciled entities in the sale of connected car applications to OEMs in the US and Europe.
- Provided legal, strategic and management assistance to Freeborders, Inc. from the start-up phase to 850 employees, while expanding from one office in California to 11 offices in seven countries.
- Negotiated the largest (at the time) U.S. to China technology outsourcing deal with a total contract value of $270 million.
- Negotiated a U.S./Swiss/China technology outsourcing deal that won the Forbes Magazine/Everest Group Outsourcing Excellence Award for Europe.
- Negotiated the federal government lease and helped arrange the $300 million financing for the Portals Building in Washington, D.C., current home of the Federal Communications Commission.
- Initiated and led a number of waste, fraud, and abuse investigations on behalf of U.S. Senate Committees resulting in policy changes and budget cuts worth tens of millions in federal savings.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce, International Business Council, Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Recent Blog Posts
- Blockchain: Will Gov. Haslam affix his name to electronic transactions amendment?
- FinCEN Policy Positions Offer Murky Guidance for ICOs
- 5 Issues to Consider Before Jumping Into Cryptocurrency Mining
- Law firms are adapting to the crypto environment
- Legislation could codify blockchain in Tennessee
- Beacon Center poll says State incentive wasteful, while Entertainment, Blockchain, other industries mobilize for Capitol Hill action
- National law firm Frost Brown Todd accepting bitcoin for payment
- Nashville-linked RecordGram to launch $300MM TUNE token sale
- Lawyers Can Accept Bitcoin—But Must Exchange ASAP, Nebraska Says
- More Law Firms Are Accepting Bitcoin Payments
- Is this the next financial scandal waiting to happen?
- Law Firm Now Accepting Bitcoins
- Cybersecurity Spells Trouble For New York Firms
- Venture Notes - 15 August 2017
- ICO's and the Fed's two minute warning
- With Nashville tech players aboard, Po.et Foundation reports $10MM funding
- Advisors: FBT attorney Josh Rosenblatt deep-dives Blockchain
- Yahoo breach data reveals the need for ethical breach reporting
- Nexteer on Crest of Expected Wave of Chinese Auto Investment
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- First Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Delta Waterfowl Association, Middle Tennessee Chapter, Co-Chairman
- Nations Ministry Center, Board Member (Chairman Emeritus)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Speaker, "Laying a Foundation for Success: State Initiatives in Blockchain," Distributed: Health 2017, September 25, 2017
Speaker and Panelist, Business Without Borders, HSBC and The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles, CA, April 20, 2011; San Francisco, CA, April 21, 2011
Speaker and Panelist, Protecting Intellectual Property, the Facts Behind the Buzz, Webinar, The Center for CIO Leadership, November 9, 2010
Co-Author, "When Sharing is Not Caring, How to Protect Data When Outsourcing", Co-Author Paul Liu, Globalization Today, March 2010; China Information World, January 17, 2011
Co-Author, "Hypervigilance, Protecting you Intellectual Property in a Flat World", Co-Author Paul Liu