Karlyn A. Schnapp, Ph.D.
I represent domestic and international clients in a wide array of intellectual property matters, with particular emphasis on patent and trademark prosecution, counseling and enforcement. My patent practice involves patent prosecution for small molecule, pharmaceutical, and polymer chemistry; freedom to practice, validity and patentability opinions; licensing agreements; due diligence review of intellectual property assets and patent portfolio management.
My trademark practice involves registrations and prosecutions with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, foreign trademark applications and assignments, branding and advertising review, consent and license agreements.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Intellectual Property, 2005-2018
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers® and Cincinnati Magazine "Rising Star," Intellectual Property Law, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Cincinnati - Patent Law, 2015
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Chemical Society, Member
- Cincy IP, Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Member
- Myriad Supreme Court Decision - cDNA, but not Isolated DNA, is Patent Eligible Subject Matter
- Q&A With Frost Brown Todd's Karlyn Schnapp
- Supreme Court Rules Law of Nature Not Patentable in Mayo v. Prometheus
- The Importance of Being Earnest (When Filing Trademark Registration Documents) - In re Bose Corp., No. 2008-1448 (Fed. Cir. Aug. 31, 2009)
- ALP: How can I prevent competitors from using patents to block my biotech start-up company from commercializing its own innovative products?
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Chambers USA®
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- 65 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA®
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 63 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Chambers USA®
- 172 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Best Lawyers®
- 67 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Chambers USA®
- 167 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers®
- 150 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers® 2012 Edition
- 57 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Chambers USA®
- 54 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Photochemistry and Radical Cation Chemistry of Aryl Enones: A Comparison of Mechanistic Pathways. Pacifichem '95 (Pacific Basin Chemistry Conference), Honolulu, HI, December 17-22, 1995.
Dihydrodioxins: Masked Ortho-Quinones as DNA Cleaving Agents. Eighth Conference of the Inter-American Photochemical Society, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, May 19-24, 1996.
Dihydrodioxins: Photochemically Activated Masked DNA Cleaving Agents. The Effects of Quinone Fluorination. 213th ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 13-17, 1997.
1,4-Dihydrodioxins as Synthetic Photonucleases: Effect of Substitution and Potential for Site-Specific DNA Scission. Gordon Conference on Organic Photochemistry, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI, July 19-24, 1997.
Benzoquinone-olefin Exciplexes: The Observation and Chemistry of the p-Benzoquinone-tetraphenylallene Exciplex, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1990, 112, 3700. K. A. Schnapp, R. M. Wilson, D. M. Ho, R. A. Caldwell, D. Creed.
Remarkable Catalysis of Intersystem Crossing of Singlet Pentafluorophenylnitrene, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1991, 113, 3209. Russell Poe, Jennifer Grayzer, M. Jennifer T. Young, Elisa Leyva, Karlyn A. Schnapp, Matthew S. Platz.
High Intensity Laser Photochemistry of Organic Molecules in Solution. Chemical Reviews, 1993, 93, 223, R. Marshall Wilson, Karlyn A. Schnapp.
Exploratory Photochemistry of Fluorinated Aryl Azides; Implications for the Design of Photoaffinity Labeling Reagents. Bioconjugates, 1993 4, 172, Karlyn A. Schnapp, Russell Poe, Elisa Leyva, N. Soundararajan, Matthew S. Platz.
High-Intensity, Laser-Jet Photochemistry: Photodecarboxylation of 3,3-diphenyl-1H,3H-naphtho[c,d]pyran-1-one. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun.. 1997, 149-50. R. Marshall Wilson, Karlyn A. Schnapp, Martin Gloss, Cornelia Bohne, Andrew C. Dixon.