Liam E. Felsen, Ph.D.
Liam is a Senior Associate at Frost Brown Todd’s Louisville office, focusing his practice on product liability defense, fire and explosion litigation, premises liability, personal injury, tort and insurance (including bad faith), business litigation, and drug and medical device. Liam handles a variety of complex product liability matters including automobiles, motorcycles, mining equipment, agricultural equipment (specializing in fire and explosion), and medical devices. Liam also has a depth of experience with insurance defense (personal injury, UIM/UM, bad faith, and unfair claims settlement practices), premises liability (including amusement parks, gas stations, restaurants, and other premises), and business litigation (including breach of contract, commercial landlord/tenant, construction, and franchisor/franchisee disputes). Liam is a trial lawyer with experience at all stages of litigation in both state and federal court, including pre-suit dispute resolution, arbitration, pretrial discovery, trial, and appeal. Liam is licensed in both Kentucky and Indiana and was recognized in 2018 as a Rising Star by Kentucky Super Lawyers.
Liam graduated magna cum laude from the University of Louisville, Brandeis School of Law; served as Executive Editor of the University of Louisville Law Review; and was inducted into the Brandeis Honor Society. from the Indiana University Maurer School of Law in 2012. Before attending law school, Liam was a tenured Associate Professor of Medieval English Literature at Indiana University Southeast in New Albany, IN. Liam holds a Ph.D. in Medieval Studies and English Literature from the University of Oregon, a Master’s degree in English from San Francisco State University, and two Bachelor’s degrees—in English and Linguistics—from San Diego State University. Liam is very active in the Louisville community and serves on boards for Fund for the Arts, Kentucky Shakespeare, and Adath Jeshurun Synagogue.
- Served as lead trial counsel and won defense verdicts in property damage and personal injury cases in Kentucky state court.
- Defense of medical device manufacturer in litigation stemming from the placement of mesh for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
- Serves as part of a national counsel fire and explosion defense team for a major construction and agricultural equipment manufacturer.
- Defense of insurance companies against personal injury, UIM/UM, and first- and third-party bad faith claims.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Featured story: FBT rallies in support of local arts organizations
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Adath Jeshurun Synagogue: Vice President, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Shakespeare: Secretary, Board of Directors
- Fund for the Arts: Board of Directors, NeXtGen
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“A Primer on Responding to a Third-Party Subpoena Duces Tecum,” Presentation, 2017 DRI Business Litigation Seminar.
“The Potential Effect of Autonomous Vehicles on Product Liability Litigation,” August 17, 2016, DRI The Voice.
"The 'Bold Jujitsu' of Klayman and Clapper: The Impact of Modern Technology on Fourth Amendment Analysis," DRI Technology Committee Newsletter 9:1, June 2014.
"Absence of Prior Accidents Evidence - Recent Trends in Admissibility," Co-Author, DRI ACMIE News, December 2013