Mike has a keen understanding of legal and commercial issues confronting businesses, large and small. His background as both a lawyer and as President/CEO of multi-billion-dollar businesses evidences a well-rounded view of problem solving, legal issues, and the financial, commercial and risk management needs of organizations operating in high risk environments.
Mike spent more than 30 years in the transportation industry, most recently serving as President of Transdev Services, Inc, a $1b subsidiary of its French parent company which champions a future of transportation which is personalized, autonomous, digitally connected and electric. Prior to working at Transdev, Mike served as President & CEO of FirstGroup America, Inc. (FGA), a $5b subsidiary of British transport giant, FirstGroup plc which provides multi-modal passenger transportation services and fleet maintenance in school bus, city bus, shuttle services, call centers and motor coach. In 2009, Mike’s company won the National Safety Counsel’s (NSC) Green Cross Medal for Safety as well as the ACG/Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award (Large Business Category). Before his appointment as CEO of FGA, Mike served as Vice President & General Counsel, Secretary and served in the same capacity for over 9 years at R & L Carriers, an LTL trucking company based in Wilmington, Ohio.
In his early years as a lawyer, Mike specialized in labor and employment matters, but also handled commercial and transactional matters, dispute resolution and corporate structure for a variety of small and entrepreneurial businesses. Mike has been involved in over 100 arbitrations and/or mediations in his career. Mike served on the National Safety Council’s (NSC) Board of Directors and is the past Chair of the NSC Board of Trustees and Green Cross Task Force. Mike was honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award at Salmon P. Chase College of Law in 2008, where he also served for many years as Chairman of the Board of Advisors.
Government Contracting, Corporate Contracts, Commercial Transactions
Labor and Employment
Highlights & Recognitions
- Green Cross Medal for Safety, National Safety Council, 2009;
- Entrepreneur of the Year, ACG/Ernst & Young, 2009
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, 2008
- Maislin Student of the Year, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, 1989
- Darby Award for Zeal for the Study of Law and Esprit de Corps Among Student Body, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, 1989
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Past Chairman of Board of Advisors
- National Safety Council and Chair of NSC Board of Trustees, Past Board Member