Rachael High Chamberlain
Rachael is a senior associate in the Lexington office. She practices in the area of tax law, with an emphasis on state and local taxation. Rachael has assisted clients with issues involving property tax, sales and use tax, and income tax, assisting in both tax planning and controversy work. She has represented clients throughout the audit and administrative appeals process and into the court system, and has also assisted with various requests for rulings and guidance on tax issues from state taxing authorities. Rachael has also assisted clients with federal and state tax credits, economic incentive deals, and voluntary disclosure program applications.
In addition to her state and local tax practice, Rachael has also assisted with the formation of numerous nonprofit entities, from the organization of the entity to the granting of exempt status by the IRS. She also provides guidance on various issues for non-profit entities. In addition, Rachael assists clients with general business transactions and extended warranty/service contract guidance.
Rachael is a lifelong Kentucky native and graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Law, where she participated in various extracurriculars, including the Kentucky Law Journal and the Moot Court Board competitive team. She currently serves as Chair of the Taxation Section of the Kentucky Bar Association. Rachael is also on the Membership Committee of Bluegrass Community Foundation’s BGCF365 program, and will be participating in the Elevate Kentucky Class of 2018.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chair, Kentucky Bar Association Taxation Section, 2017-2018
- Vice-Chair, Kentucky Bar Association Taxation Section, 2016-2017
- Treasurer, Kentucky Bar Association Taxation Section, 2015-2016
- University of Kentucky, Kentucky Law Journal
- University of Kentucky, Moot Court Board, National Team Member and Treasurer/Secretary
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Elevate Kentucky, Class of 2018
- Bluegrass Community Foundation, BGCF 365 Membership Committee
- Transylvania University 100 Doors to Success Mentorship Program, Mentor, September 2014-present
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, Tax Preparer, 2014
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Co-author, Today's Good, the Bad and Ugly of Coal Taxation, Journal of State Taxation (Wolters Kluwer), 2017
Co-author, Kentucky Chapter, Multijurisdictional Admission to Practice Requirements for State and Local Tax Lawyers (ABA), 2018 (1st ed.)
Co-author, Sales and Use Taxes: Kentucky, Practical Law (Thompson Reuters), 2016
Presenter, “Tax 101: Tax Law for Non-Tax Attorneys,” 2016 Kentucky Law Update, Covington, Lexington, London, and Prestonsburg, Kentucky (Fall-Winter 2015)
Presenter, “Tax 101: Tax Law for Non-Tax Attorneys,” 2015 Kentucky Law Update, Ashland, Bowling Green, Lexington, London, and Paducah, Kentucky (Fall-Winter 2015)