Steven J. Ellcessor
Steven was a partner at one of the firm's predecessors, Frost & Jacobs, resigning in 1986 to become secretary and general counsel of The J. M. Smucker Company. While at Smucker, he also served as the company's vice president of administration, vice president of finance and chief financial officer. He returned to private practice and rejoined the firm in 2003 and focuses his practice on general business matters with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, securities, and food, cosmetic and dietary supplement regulatory matters, including labeling and advertising compliance. His clients represent a broad range of manufacturing and service companies, including food and dietary supplement manufacturers and distributors, the American subsidiaries of a multinational consumer products company, and one of the country's premier manufacturers of roof materials. He is the former practice group leader for the firm's Regulated Business Practice Group, and currently leads the firm's food and beverage service team. He also chaired the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee for eight years before stepping down from that position in 2019.
- Served a 14-month appointment as interim general counsel and secretary for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc., in which capacity he managed the legal function for this NYSE listed company, including the securities reporting area, and advised the board of directors and managed the legal aspects of the company’s $1.35 billion going private transaction with JAB Holdings B.V.
- Served in multiple executive officer capacities from 1986 to 2003 at The J.M. Smucker Company, including chief financial officer (2002-2003), general counsel (1986-2002), vice president-finance and administration (1999-2003), vice president-administration (1996-1999), and secretary (1986-2003).
Since returning to the firm, Steven's activities have included serving as outside general counsel for clients, acting as securities counsel for several of the firm's public companies and providing corporate governance advice for both public and closely-held companies. He also has represented clients in multiple merger and acquisition transactions, including a $1.4 billion joint venture in the food industry, and the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts' going private transaction referenced above. As part of the firm's food and beverage and hemp teams, he has also been actively involved in advising firm clients on regulatory compliance matters related to the marketing of hemp products.
Highlights & Recognitions
- 2011 BTI Client Service All-Stars, recognized as one of 318 attorneys across the nation by BTI Consulting Group for exceptional client service
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law, 2015-2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Society for Corporate Governance
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 includes 169 Frost Brown Attorneys
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Spring 2018 Diversity & Inclusion Report
- Fall/Winter 2017 Diversity & Inclusion Report
- Summer 2017 Diversity & Inclusion Report
- 161 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Winter/Spring 2017 Diversity & Inclusion Report
- Fall/Winter 2016 Diversity & Inclusion Report
- 168 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Frost Brown Todd Receives Top Marks in 2015 Corporate Equality Index
- 175 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Frost Brown Todd receives Business Partner Award
- Three Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Named BTI Client Service All-Stars