Steven M. Regan
Steve is a member of Frost Brown Todd’s Finance and Real Estate practice group. He has extensive experience in structuring, negotiating and closing all manner of real estate and finance transactions. Steve embraces the unique challenges each transaction presents and is not satisfied until the client’s objectives are met in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Steve counsels businesses, real estate investors and lenders in connection with a wide variety of finance, development, acquisition, disposition, leasing and other transactions. He advises a real estate developer in connection with the acquisition and development of multi-family and mixed-use projects throughout the City of Pittsburgh. His development work includes site acquisition, purchase money and construction financing, and obtaining zoning and other entitlements. He also successfully appealed the real property tax assessments of two of the developer’s properties, reducing the assessed value of one property from $1,032,250 to $30,000 and the other from $924,400 to $395,000.
Steve also advises real estate investors in connection with the structure and formation of real estate investment vehicles including preparing and negotiating joint venture limited liability company or limited partnership agreements, and the acquisition and financing of investment real estate.
Steve works extensively with lender clients to negotiate and close business, corporate and commercial real estate loans. He has represented lender clients in connection with all asset and asset-based loans, real estate acquisition, development, construction and refinance loans, syndications, participations and loan modifications.
Steve is a licensed Pennsylvania title insurance agent and is the responsible agent in the state for Multi-State Title Agency LLC, Frost Brown Todd’s title insurance agency.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $150 million warehouse loan used to originate multi-family acquisition loans.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $6,500,000 revolving line of credit secured by the borrower’s accounts, inventory and other assets, and a $3,200,000 term loan secured by the borrower’s real estate in Pittsburgh, PA and Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana.
- In less than two weeks, negotiated and closed a $1,900,000 real estate term loan for a lender client that refinanced out a lender that had commenced foreclosure proceedings.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $1,200,000 working capital revolving line credit and a $2,100,000 term loan to two related borrowers.
Real Estate Investments
- Advised a real estate investment client as to fund structuring, choice of entity and entity formation, preparation of the limited liability company agreements for investor and managing members, subscription agreement, and an asset management agreement. Represented the same client in connection with all aspects of its first real estate asset acquisition.
- Advised a real estate investment client in connection with the acquisition, financing and leasing of office, multi-family and other asset classes.
Loan Workouts, Restructures and Forbearances
Steve has extensive experience representing borrowers and lenders in connection with loan workouts, restructures and forbearances. His recent experience includes:
- Represented a residential developer in connection with a development loan default that resulted in a sale of the remaining lots to another developer.
- Representing a developer borrower in connection with a restructure of a bridge loan default and negotiation of a forbearance agreement.
- Representing a developer in connection with a construction loan default involving obtaining subordinate construction completion financing and bonding off a mechanics lien.
- Advising a client in connection with the conversion of the client’s service station into a gas station and convenience store including acquisition of the real property, negotiating a fuel purchase agreement, identifying and negotiating acquisition, fuel brand and SBA 504 financing, and obtaining zoning relief necessary to convert the use of the property.
- Acted as Pennsylvania local counsel to a communications company acquiring the stock of a competitor which included preparing bylaws for the Pennsylvania acquired entities and issuing joinder opinions for the acquiring company’s existing credit and corporate bond indenture facilities.
In addition to his work representing clients, Steve frequently lectures on various matters including commercial leasing, title insurance, commercial real estate finance, and banking regulation.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Financial Industry Network, Board of Directors
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Pennsylvania Land Title Association, Education Committee
- Bethel Park Zoning Hearing Board
- Pennsylvania Association of Notaries