Suzanne M. Fisher-Edwards
Suzanne counsels clients in a wide array of environmental and energy law matters, including transactional, regulatory and compliance issues. She is particularly experienced in brownfield and underground storage tank (UST) matters. Suzanne is also a litigator with a broad range of experience.
Suzanne's energy practice encompasses all aspects of advanced and renewable energy, as well as oil and gas leases worth hundreds of millions of dollars. She assists clients with negotiating leases and obtaining permits, licenses, siting authorizations and other regulatory approvals from federal, state and local agencies for proposed energy projects. Suzanne's work crafting and negotiating leases across the energy spectrum in Ohio is unparalleled. She has also represented numerous clients in cleanup of contaminated sites, including negotiation of orders and consent decrees with regulatory agencies. She has extensive experience with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Ohio Voluntary Action Program.
- Environmental counseling regarding issues affecting real estate development and transactions.
- Advise on polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) and lead-based paint compliance under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA.)
- Represent clients in cleanup of contaminated sites, including negotiation of orders and consent decrees with regulatory agencies.
- Assist landowners, developers, lenders and Fortune 500 companies to obtain regulatory closure (No Further Action letters) for sites with petroleum contamination from USTs.
- Coordinate environmental issues associated with a plant closing, including document retention, UST removal, remediation, oversight and permit termination.
- Represent companies in Ohio Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Release Compensation Board coverage disputes.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Top Lawyers in Energy and Utilities, Columbus CEO, 2016
- Who to Watch in Energy, Columbus Business First, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation, 2011-2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- Commercial Real Estate Women of Columbus, Inc.
- Columbus Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, Chair 2013-2015
- Columbus Metropolitan Club, Member since 2008
- Ohio Women Lawyers Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
Non-FBT Publications and Events
“Oil & Gas Development: Managing Risks and Seizing Opportunities,” Ohio Water Law and Community Opportunities for Innovative Water System Management, presented by Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District, Canton, October 12, 2016.
“Oil & Gas Development: Managing Risks and Seizing Opportunities,” Ohio Water Law and Community Opportunities for Innovative Water System Management, presented by Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District, New Philadelphia, March 22, 2016.
Responsible Oil and Gas Development: Putting Green in Your Pocket and Keeping the Environment Green,” Huntington Bank, May 2013.
“Technical and Legal Issues Regarding Oil and Gas Development,” Ohio Federation of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Annual Meeting, February 27, 2012.
“Oil and Gas Groundwater Issues,” Ohio Water Laws and Regulations, HalfMoon LLC Seminar, November 2011.
“Advanced Issues in Real Estate” 2006 NBI Seminar; “Will You Marry Me? Wind Energy Development in Ohio,” co-author with David Nash, GEO News Wind Energy Edition, June 2009.