Thaddeus M. Boggs
Thad is a senior associate in the Columbus office practicing in the Government Services Practice Group. His practice focuses on serving clients in the variety of areas affecting local government and development, with primary focuses in land-use and zoning regulation and litigation. He also regularly advises clients concerning public records law, open meetings law, and public ethics laws. His litigation experience includes trial and appellate matters in diverse areas including taxation, election law, land-use, and public nuisance litigation.
- Land-use regulation and litigation
- Public records, open meetings, and public ethics
- Public nuisance litigation
- Wireless tower zoning and leasing
- Election law and litigation (including initiative, referendum, and recall)
- Legal training for law enforcement
- State ex rel. Grove City Law Director v. Lee-Elle Management LLC, Franklin County Environmental Court No. 2017 EVH 60433: public nuisance declaratory judgment and injunctive action; obtained temporary restraining order for closure of motel with drug, solicitation, and felony activity.
- City of Dublin v. Haimbaugh, Franklin County Environmental Court No. 2017 EVH 60605: public nuisance declaratory judgment and injunctive action; obtained judgment permitting demolition of fire-damaged nuisance residential structure.
- City of Upper Arlington v. Cameron, et al., Franklin County Court of Common Pleas No. 14CV-4639: quiet title and declaratory judgment action resulting in summary judgment for City allowing it to sell unused right-of-way.
- City of Upper Arlington v. Simpson, et al., Franklin County Environmental Court No. 2013 EVE 60023: foreclosure action on contempt judgment following property owners’ failure to comply with injunction to abate property maintenance code violations; forced sale resulted in $45,000 payment to City as well as payments to the State, County, and Federal governments for unpaid taxes and assessments.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association (OMAA)
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State University Alumni Association: Ohio State Law Journal (2010-2012; Articles Editor 2011-2012); Moot Court Team, Corporate Law (2012)
- Leadership Upper Arlington (2015 Class; Board President 2017-2018)
- Upper Arlington Civil Service Commission (2018-Present)
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Leadership UA (Upper Arlington), Class of 2015
- Leadership UA Board of Directors (2015-Present; Vice President 2016-Present)
- Oakstone Community School, Board of Trustees (2016-Present)
Non-FBT Publications and Events
Author, “FCC Small-Cell Ruling Adds Federal Restrictions on Local Decision-Making.” Ohio Municipal League Cities & Villages. Nov/Dec 2018: 6-9.
“Hotels Straining City Services” Cities and Villages Magazine, Ohio Municipal League, January/February 2018. Co-Author with Stephen Smith.
Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association Conference, Member of Model Sign Ordinance Drafting Committee and Panelist.