Tonya J. Austin
Tonya practices in the firm’s Business Litigation and Labor and Employment Practice Groups. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, her business litigation practice is focused on complex commercial disputes, including a variety of contract disputes, securities fraud, construction, internal ownership disputes and enforcement of restrictive covenants. Tonya also defends clients in insurance coverage disputes and bad faith claims.
In her employment practice, Tonya regularly defends employers in a variety of state and federal employment discrimination and other wrongful termination actions. She also provides advice and counsel to management regarding litigation-avoidance strategies and compliance with laws governing hiring, discipline, compensation, termination and other employment practices.
Tonya also maintains a general corporate practice working primarily with nonprofit organizations and veteran-owned small businesses. She focuses on advising and counseling these clients on the various regulatory and compliance issues affecting their qualifications and certifications. Her experience in corporate law includes consulting clients and preparing corporate documents and a variety of commercial contracts. She has also assisted with company acquisitions, prepared documents for company restructurings and for initial securities offerings, including private placement memoranda as well as assisted nonprofit companies with complete formation process.
Highlights & Recognitions
- 2011 Emerging Leader Award, LEGACY of Northern Kentucky
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Heart Association, Go Red for Women - Executive Leadership Team, PULSE Board Member, Heart Walk Team Captain, 2015-present
- HYPE (Harnessing Young Professional Energy) - Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, Talent Development Committee Member 2010-2011
- LEGACY of Northern Kentucky Inc., Business Engagement Committee Co-Chair 2008-2012, Next Generation Leader Awards Planning Commitee Co-Chair/Member 2011-2013, Steering Committee Member 2008-2012
- NAMI Northern Kentucky, Inc., Board Member/Chair of Nominating Committee 2009-2011
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Annual Dinner Focus Group Leader 2012
Recent Blog Posts
- Sixth Circuit Addresses "Good Faith" Under Tennessee Law
- Banks May Be Protected From Liability In E-Mail Scams
- The Kentucky Condominium Act: Proving Uniform Policies Regarding The Creation, Management And Operation Of Condominium Units In Kentucky
- The Supreme Court of Ohio's Statistical Summary Spotlights Increase In Foreclosure Filings