Victoria E. Beckman
Victoria focuses her practice on privacy and information security, and is the lead of the firm's cybersecurity area. She is also the chair of the Latin America Desk and represents U.S. and foreign companies in intellectual property, business, and cross border litigation. Victoria is a frequent speaker on issues of cybersecurity and data breach response.
A native of Colombia, Victoria spent years as a public defender in Arizona first assigned to capital habeas appeals and later trying major felony cases. Prior to practicing law, Victoria was an industrial engineer in the technology and automotive sectors and a competitive figure skater.
Privacy & Data Security
A member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Victoria regularly advises clients on privacy and data security issues. Not only does she assist clients with state, federal, and international compliance, but also with preparing strategies for responding to data breaches and other security incidents. Her experience includes facilitating the resolution of cases involving ransomware, assisting multi-global companies with recovery of losses after a breach, proactively reviewing existing policies for domestic and foreign companies to minimize risk of potential litigation, and supervising the transfer of data as an asset in the enforcement of judgments. Victoria also assists clients in designing the processes to comply with and respond to enforcement actions under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Global Practice & Latin America
Victoria’s fluency in Spanish and her education and work experience in Latin America allow her to help U.S. and foreign companies navigate through transnational disputes and issues of foreign law. Victoria has helped American companies with interests in Latin countries as well as foreign entities litigating matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Victoria is well-versed in managing a case from its beginning phases to a judgment or settlement; taking responsibility for research, motion writing, trial preparation, mediation and arbitration. Recently, she has litigated copyright infringement cases in the construction and technology sectors, data security and privacy claims in the banking sector, and breach of contract disputes in the medical and industrial sectors.
Highlights & Recognitions
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Star list by Super Lawyers®, 2018
- “40 Under 40 Award,” Columbus Business First, 2017
- “Top Lawyers Under 40 Award,” Hispanic National Bar Association, 2017
- Selected to the Hispanic National Bar Association’s Latina Commission 2016 Leadership Academy
- “40 Under 40 Award,” Phoenix Business Journal, 2011
- “Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona,” Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, 2010
- “Outstanding Young Lawyer,” State Bar of Arizona, 2009
- “New Attorney of the Year,” Volunteer Lawyers Program of Maricopa County, 2009
- “Outstanding Volunteer Award,” Arizona Justice Project, 2007
Memberships & Affiliations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property
- Columbus Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Women for Economic and Leadership Development
Recent Blog Posts
Civic & Charitable Organizations
- Board of Directors Chair, A Kid Again - Central Ohio Chapter
- Volunteer, Community Refugee and Immigration Services
Non-FBT Publications and Events
The Life Cycle of a Data Breach, Continuity Professionals of Central Ohio Regional Meeting, 2018
What a Business Analyst Needs to Know About Data Breaches, BA-Con 2018
Incident Response Tools & Tactics, Cybersecurity and Privacy Protection Conference, 2018
Webinar, Hot Topics in the US for Universities – GDPR + Brexit, 2018
Panel, GDPR is Coming! Are You Ready?, 2018
Webinar, Civil Litigation in the U.S., 2016
Columbus Business First, We Have Been Breached, Now What?, 2018
Columbus Business First Article, What Does General Data Protection Regulation Mean for Mid-Size Organizations, 2018