Rapid advancements in tech have unleashed a host of legal issues for which there are few, if any, precedents. For companies at the bleeding edge, the fact remains that, without the necessary legal guidance, it’s difficult to predict whether your business will find itself on the right side of disruption. Today, a successful business strategy must be grounded in shrewd legal planning and meticulous execution. The Technology Industry Team (fbtTECH) can help. We work closely with companies to mitigate risk and legal exposure and capture the upmost value from their technology initiatives. At every turn, we make sure our clients stay abreast of new regulations and one step ahead of their competitors.
Who We Are
A multidisciplinary team, fbtTECH provides comprehensive legal services to tech companies and companies with technology needs. The team itself comprises a broad cross-section of attorneys who focus on the intersection between technology and the law – from the licensing, commercialization, and protection of IP assets to data security compliance and blockchain-enabled transactions. Importantly, many of us have advanced degrees in STEM subjects or have served as in-house counsel for leading-edge companies. As such, we combine the technical expertise of engineers and developers with a strategic in-house business perspective.
Currently, fbtTECH has three areas of acute focus: Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Blockchain. In addition, our attorneys advise on 3D printing, digital advertising and e-mail marketing, drones, online/retail tracking, eCommerce, data privacy and cybersecurity, among other emerging legal areas.
How We Work
Staying apprised of new market opportunities; informing clients of any legislative developments that might impact their bottom line; being nimble, resourceful and boldly pursuing our clients’ interests in every stage and facet of their business; balancing micro-level considerations with long-term objectives and outlining the necessary steps for meeting those objectives. Taken together, these action items form the linchpin of our legal strategy and our core commitment to clients.
Furthermore, we tailor our team’s composition and services to the express needs of each client, based on their operating methods, market interests, risk profile, and strategic vision. When a legal matter requires an interdisciplinary approach, we bring on attorneys with the necessary expertise, collaborating across the firm’s different offices and practice groups to ensure that our clients have access to the most qualified counsel whenever and wherever a need arises.
In the News
- FATCA in Focus – Are Foreign Cryptocurrency Companies Subject to FATCA?
- Blockchain Law with Wags
- Blockchain startup The Opinion Economy maps token, ICO, equity offerings
- "Walk in with your eyes open:" Navigating blockchain and CRE
- Bitcoin fans rave, but understand it’s still a risky business
- Seeking Counsel: Privacy Concerns
- Blockchain tech ‘is the shiny new penny’
- Ahhh, Smart Offices, Hot Coffee. But Watch Out for Legal Risks
- Regulatory Clarity Should Lead to More Capital Investment in Crypto: Panel
- Blockchain-based initial coin offerings chart uncertain legal terrain
- Emerging smart contracts offer possibilities and risks
- Legislation could codify blockchain in Tennessee
- Beacon Center poll says State incentive wasteful, while Entertainment, Blockchain, other industries mobilize for Capitol Hill action
- How the legal industry is adopting Ethereum-based smart contracts
- Nashville-linked RecordGram to launch $300MM TUNE token sale
- More Law Firms Are Accepting Bitcoin Payments
- Is this the next financial scandal waiting to happen?
- Law Firm Now Accepting Bitcoins
- Cybersecurity Spells Trouble For New York Firms
- Venture Notes - 15 August 2017
- DTCI: Blockchains, Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies: What does it all mean?
- ICO's and the Fed's two minute warning
- With Nashville tech players aboard, Po.et Foundation reports $10MM funding
- Launching an ICO? Follow This Advice from the SEC
- Advisors: FBT attorney Josh Rosenblatt deep-dives Blockchain
- It's not just Bitcoin anymore...
- A Cautionary Tale For Money Service Businesses: How Violating The Bank Secrecy Act Could Cost Millions
- Legal field embraces promising use causes for blockchain tech
- Digital Asset enters healthcare as blockchain questions grow
- Self-Enforcing Smart Contracts Will Change Your Life
- Drones Fought The Law, But Who Won?
- Whose sky is it anyway? U.S. drone case tests rights to air space
- Health conference draws global healthcare, technology and blockchain leaders to Nashville
- First mission completed using drones in whale research
- Exploring the Mystery behind Blockchain
- What Does Blockchain Mean to the Financial Industry?
- Gem founder ranks NVille healthcare sector as a key blockchain market
- New Law Puts Kentucky on Cutting Edge of Insurance Innovation
- Frost Brown Todd 2019 Leadership Appointments Include Five Women
- Victoria E. Beckman Joins Frost Brown Todd’s Columbus Office
- Frost Brown Todd Member John Wagster Recognized for Thought Leadership in Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- 163 Frost Brown Todd Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Frost Brown Todd Moves to Accept Bitcoin
- IP and Patent Attorney Courtney Miller Joins Frost Brown Todd, Columbus
- Digital Currency and Ledger Defense Coalition Files Amicus Brief in U.S. v. Coinbase
- Frost Brown Todd Creates Smart Contract App for Software Escrow Agreements
- California’s Consumer Privacy Act Completes its 2019 Legislative Journey
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 43 - What You Need to Know about Maine’s New Privacy Law
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 42 - Encryption: When Data Privacy Best Practices are Not
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 41 - Hong Kong and Data Privacy
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 40 - Avoiding Cyber-Disasters: The Human Element
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 39 - GDPR One-year In: The UK Experience
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 38 - India and Data Privacy, Get Ready!
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 37 - Catching Serial Killers, Employee Biometrics, Tracking and Personal Data Privacy
- The Latest on the California Consumer Privacy Act’s Amendments
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 36 - Five Hot U.S. Data Privacy Developments
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 35 - Hot Topics in Data Privacy - From the U.S. Front
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 34 - When Employees Cooperate With Law Enforcement And Expose Personal Data
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 33 – Streaming Data Flows: Key Findings from an Important 2019 Data Privacy Maturity Study
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 32 – Discovering Personal Data: How the unknown becomes known
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast Episode 31 – Data Incidents and Breaches: What mid-sized companies do when one hits
- Data Privacy Detective Episode 30 - Good news for 2019 from Europe for US firms handling European personal data
- India and Cars – Visions of the Future for America?
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 29 -China’s Social Behavior Measurement
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 28 - Russian Data Privacy and Protection
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 27 - Digital Authoritarianism
- Ohio Data Breach Safe Harbor Law Now Effective
- Adding an “S” to IoT: New California Law Requires IoT Security
- Amendments Draw Future Battle Lines Over Landmark California Privacy Legislation
- FBI Warns of Cyber Threats to K-12 Students and Unsecured Ed Tech Systems
- California Consumer Privacy Act and Employers: Part 2
- California Consumer Privacy Act and Employers: Part 1
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 26 - How safe is the personal data you provide to state governments?
- Ohio Enacts Law Acknowledging Blockchain Transactions and Granting Safe Harbor Protections to Eligible Businesses from Data Breach Claims
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 25 - Europe’s GDPR - Representatives and Data Protection Officers
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 24 - Internet Review Sites and Free Expression
- Does the New California Privacy Law Apply to Your Business?
- European Parliament Threatens Suspension of Privacy Shield
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 23 - California’s New Data Privacy Law
- Carpenter v. U.S.
- California Passes Comprehensive Online Privacy Legislation
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 22 - GDPR and non-EU Businesses
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 21 - GDPR is here
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 20 - China's New Data Privacy Standards
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 19 - The EU/U.S. and Swiss Privacy Shield
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 18 - How businesses outside the EU can comply with the GDPR
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 17 - Consent: The meaning of it under GDPR
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 16 - Lawful Processing of Personal Data under the GDPR
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 15 - Personal Data and the GDPR
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 14 - Controllers and Processors
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 13 - Does the GDPR apply to a business outside the European Union?
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 12 -The GDPR is Coming
- Blockchain Beyond Bitcoin (Seminar Video)
- Attention Website Operators and Online Service Providers:
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 11 - Tech Support Scams
- New Cybersecurity Regs will not be Limited to New York: Extra-Territorial Application for the Insurer and its Third Parties
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 10 - Cybersecurity & IoT
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 9 - Phishing - How to Avoid Being Hooked
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 8 - FBI CyberAlert about massive attack, July 25, 2017 – so what do we do?
- SEC Leaves ICO Questions Unanswered
- Regulatory Pivot to Innovation and Technology will have Effects Beyond Insurance
- Let Me Introduce You to Three Robot Lawyers
- To Disclose or Not: Search Warrants for Data Stored Overseas
- Rollover Equity Transactions
- It's Tax Season - Is Your Scam Alert on? (Update)
- Self-Enforcing Smart Contracts Will Change Your Life
- A new hope for inventors? Emerging liberalization of subject matter eligibility in Trading Technologies v. CQG
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 7 - Big Data and Your Personal Privacy
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 6 - Facial Recognition Technology and Our Privacy
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 5 - Top Tips On Protecting Your Data
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 4 - Your Personal Checklist for CyberSecurity
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 3 - The Battleground of Data and Disclosure
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 2 - Google and European Data Privacy
- Data Privacy Detective Podcast - Episode 1 - Data Privacy Starts with You
- Mike Nitardy and Doug Gastright to Represent FBT at the NKY Cybersecurity Symposium
- Blockchain beyond Bitcoin and Imported Privacy Rights, from California to the GDPR
- Healthcare, Blockchain and Smart Contracts (CLE Event)
- Nashville Blockchain Meetup: Blockchain as an enabler of the Internet of Things
- Blockchains and "Smart" Contracts